View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 AM
Mr Ian

I wholeheartedly agree and always retain a sense of 'reality' about a given work problem that my line manager has to resolve.

Having said that, as a supervisory nurse, I do very little to show it and often fire a convincing argument to them that leaves them with little options other than to meet my needs (based on junior staff/patient needs) or, less frequently, to tell me to shut up and get back in my box because there's nothing they can do about it. I accept that. I hate it but I know that if that is their answer then they don't have an alternative. Sometimes it is because they have other genuine agendas that compromise my arguments, rarely it is because they're crap managers. As long as they're straight with me, we did our thing and get over it and back to work.

I only get fired up when a manager tells me it can't be done, based on someone else's decision and when I think that decision is flawed. I'm not talking about state or national policy or hospital budget as I know there's little my middle manager can do about that. I'm talking about "we decided to do it this way because it seemed easier" (usually easier for them) and I don't subscribe to taking the easy route just for the sake of it.

I also dislike when decisions are put upon staff because it came down to upper management decision against shop floor nurses wants and the middle manager simply supports the hand that feeds it. However, I admire those who lose the battles to win the war; subtle but effective middle management.

I have respect for managers where deserved and sometimes simply by position/status (as my knowledge of their dilemmas are limited) but I do not let that stop me lobbying for my junior staff or patient needs. They opted into the job.

What I like is that I frequently roast my 2 line managers, their line manager and even the line manager above him regularly with my opinions (the top line manager is the one who tells me to shut up and get in my box mostly - but always with a sympathetic nod and mutual understanding - it's her job). Then at the weekends I sometimes go round theirs for beers, mine for beers or go play poker with them at the pub.
Even some of the crappiest managers are actually nice people... (and vice versa).