View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 10:59 AM

KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
I would never, ever go into middle management.

You get it from the staff and you get it from the top management and you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

The best hospitals I worked in had the unit charge nurses in total control and they communicated with the other charge nurses on the other units for bed control and help when needed. There was no "middle" manager.

All our middle managers (nursing supervisors for the house) do is take sick calls and find staffing for the next shift, act as the go-between when the ER needs to admit a patient, find medications that are not in the Pyxis on any particular unit (by running to other units), call in the OR team when necessary and answer complaints from patients.

That does not sound like any type of job I would want to have.

More power to those who do it, though. It takes a special personality and I don't have it.