View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM

KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I felt like an absolute nothing for my first year as an RN, and that was in a supportive environment for six months of it. I thought "what the hell have I gotten myself into???"!

The fear, the panic, the dread - it happens and you will live through it. I did and thirty years later I'm still at it.

Believe it or not, you are learning every step of the way, every single shift.

If you can make it to another unit, do it. If you can't, go to your manager. You need to stay in the hospital, but not necessarily there.

Another thing to do is what P/J says - just stop, take a breath and think about what you are doing. Focus on your patients. You have the hardest assignments? You are there for the patients and not for your co-workers.

One day, one shift it will all come together and "click" for you. It will happen.

Hang in there - and welcome to Nursing Voices - WE are glad you are here and part of our profession! Congratulations!