View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 06:08 PM

KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Advantages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Jones, RN View Post
I hate working the night shift. I bow before night shift nurses. You are made of steel. Please tell me the secret of working nights. How do you do it without burning yourself out?
First of all, at least in the ER, the night shift is the quietest shift. We don't have to deal with administration - as long as the unit is still standing when the day shift arrives everyone is happy.

We get much more money - it's almost ten dollars an hour more for where I work, if you work nights.

The night shift is closer because there are less of us. We know the nurses on the other floors. Our housekeepers are part of the unit. The floors will take a patient faster or we will hold a patient longer because (1)we can and (2) we know the nurses would not ask if they weren't swamped.

Finally, I AM a night person. Up until 0300 if my body clock is given its own way. Might as well get paid for being awake.

Also - I am cutting back to three nights a week. That is doable. Full time nights does not work for me.

Kim
http://www.emergiblog.com