View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 PM

KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachne View Post
Hi TofuLou,

While you won't necessarily have to take another "race and racism" class, you should be aware of the issue of health disparity and how it affects practice (as well as recruitment etc.) If you don't get good material in your program, may I suggest the Institute of Medicine's book: Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care http://www.iom.edu/?id=16740

Bottom line: even when things like socioeconomic status and health insurance are controlled for, there is still a huge gap in how whites and persons of color are cared for in the U.S.
Decreasing health disparities is a major strategic goal of the National Institute of Nursing Research! I just wrote that in my nursing history column on the Nursing Jobs.org Blog

It's a great place for nursing students (and I'm back in school for my BSN) to learn about what nursing research is and how it's funded!