View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Elocin22

I've worked nights for two years. I love it! There's a different atmosphere: your co-workers team up a little more and you have more autonomy. That and there are fewer "travels." I don't mind procedures in the room, but traveling with a vent is more work than I prefer to do. It gives me anxiety.

Anyway, I have a couple of rules for myself that I generally follow in regards to sleep and being well-rested:

1. No coffee after approx 2 AM. One morning I thought it would be a good idea to down 4 or 5 cups in about an hour and a half. Needless to say, I was up to pee about thirty times, and I was awake at 1 PM. No, not just awake briefly, but up for the day. Totally not acceptable. That's when I started noticing I would wake up too early on the days I had a cup of coffee on my drive drive home (thiry miles, ish). This bad habit was not made easier when my loving boyfriend painted me my very own mug to use at work...it's great!

2. Go to bed by 0900 and get up no earlier than 1500 (usually 1600). I need my beauty rest, what can I say?).

Once or twice a week, I send the dog to daycare (he's way, way spoiled!) and zonk out. He sleeps pretty well w/ me on the other days. We were sleeping in the basement til' it flooded, which helps even more. The only other thing that disturbs my sleep is my boyfriend, who comes home and wants to cuddle and talk at noon. Seriously. I don't wake him up in the middle of the night to chat!

One more thing...I don't have kids yet. I imagine my routine will have to change a little once they are around. Totally not looking forward to that. I LOVE my sleep!