View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 PM
SusanTC

Default Night Owl

First of all, I'd like to say that 12 hours is only a half day for me

Seriously, my first job I worked 5 8's, from 11p to 7a and I felt like I was never awake AND I had a 5 year old. I hate to say, her kindergarten year is like a blur. I think you have to get used to it. 3 12's is definitely better, plus I never could work a 9-5 job. For all the reasons already mentioned-more pay, less administrators and docs getting in your way. Plus, night shift has such a comraderie, because you have to help each other out-there's nobody else around.

Now, with my current job, I can get woken up at 5am to go on a case and not get home until 8 or 9am the next morning. I'm not sure how I do it. Sometimes I'll cat nap in an empty ICU bed, but that is so weird to me...just because I'm around death doesn't mean I want to sleep where someone most likely died at some point.

I agree w/Nicole, I had a "no coffee after 2am" rule too. But I gave up coffee when I was pregnant and haven't gone back. So now I can get a buzz from decaf-those 10 mg of caffeine coursing through my veins seem to be enough now.