View Full Version : Thinking about becoming an LPN

Zidane
07-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and signed up to get some advice about pursuing certification as an LPN.

I'm 22 years old, and have only completed about a year of college. So far, I haven't been able to support myself, because the only jobs I can get are very low-paying, menial labor.

I want to increase my value in the eyes of employers, and after thinking of it a bit, I realized that it doesn't take very long to become an LPN. And when I discovered that they make anywhere from $35-$45K a year, for only around a year of education, it sounded almost unbelievable.

I realize I'm talking mostly about finance, and I realize that nursing is primarily about being in the role of a caregiver and respecting your clients/patients. In fact, I learned about this a bit when I was a PCA at a mental hospital, so I do have some experience in the medical setting.

Its important to note that this isn't my life ambition though, I just want to use LPN as a way to get through school and to support myself until I achieve what I really want to do.

I think I'd be able to handle the work, and I think I'd be a good fit for the job.

Do you guys have any advice you can give me for this?

One thing I am a bit worried about is catheters. Having to do that seems pretty disturbing. I've had to have a catheter before and it was a traumatic experience to say the least.