View Full Version : Hi, I'm new to this forum

suziegirl
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I was searching for a forum to ask a few basic questions. I've been out of nursing for a little over a year--I've been retired and taking care of a sick hubby and now an older friend who has had shoulder surgery. A question came up recently in a group setting where this gentleman stated that his father who is in his upper 80's, he said has Altzhimer's and also diabetic neuropathy in his feet and has also gotten lost several times when he has been out in his car. I immediately got alarmed and said to him. I think that you'd better take his keys away before he gets himself and his wife or others badly injured. His response was, "Oh, it keeps him active." I didn't say any more. But, I got berrated by my husband afterwards for saying anything. He said that I was meddeling and that I shouldn't have said anything. My thoughts were, I was acting as any prudent nurse would or should have responded--or am I the one who is nuts here??

CleeIB
09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not a nurse or doctor, but the basic consensus seems to be that it depends on how advanced the Alzheimer's is.

People with early stage Alzheimer's can drive, especially with aids like GPS. But late stage Alzheimer's cases are best off not driving.

If you Google "Alzheimer's elderly driving", you'll see some commentary to this effect.