View Full Version : Things to consider BEFORE choosing a nursing program

bizzuka1
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
These were given to me by my mentor and helped me out a lot:

1. Good Reputation – Does the college have a good reputation in the community? Look around on a few local blogs or social networks and see what other students are saying about it.

2. Instructors-Caring – Most colleges will have their own social media page. This is a great place to see how involved they are in the community and what past students have to say about the institution and its instructors. You want instructors that will spend one-on-one time with you and help you to advance in your career.

3. Instructors-Competent – How many years of work experience to the teachers have? Most institutions will display this info directly on their website. If you can’t find it, ask!

4. Job Placement Assistance – The primary goal of any program should be to employ graduates. Does the institution work with all students during school and after graduation to help find the job that's right for them?

5. Externships –are great "real world” experience, excellent employment references, and can even lead to job offers. Most colleges are pretty well connected in the local community and can easily assist.

6. Small Classes – means personal attention. Get the most out of your time and money.

7. Financial Assistance – There are so many types of assistance and most colleges offer them: Federal Pell Grants and Student Loans, WIA, Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Benefits, private tuition loans and college-administered payment plans. Again, if you’re not sure, ask!

8. Accredited – this s a biggie and most commonly overlooked. Check the institution’s accreditations, are they recognized by the U.S. Department of Education?

A few colleges that meet these criteria: Delta College (http://www.deltacollege.com)...