View Full Version : Becoming a nurse in Illinois for a native Japanese woman

Lucky777
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi. My fiancee is Japanese and we both currently live in Japan (I am originally from Illinois.) We plan to move back to the US soon. She wants to eventually become a nurse so that she can work as one in the US. Her English is currently not very good. She would need to improve it greatly before becoming a nurse in the states.

I have a few questions...

1. How credible are Japanese nursing certificates in the state of Illinois. Assuming she was able to pass the English tests and nursing tests, do you think she would not need to do any additional schooling in the states?

2. Do you think she would have an easier time if she moved to Illinois first, improved her English, and studied to become a nurse in English OR if she finished nursing school in Japan, and then later moved to he US to practice her English and pass the required tests?

3. Is it more difficult (strict) to pass your nursing courses in the states than Japan?

4. Would it be cheaper to go to school in Japan or Illinois for nursing? From what I researched, Japan seems cheaper but I could be wrong.

Sorry if I am not very informed. I don't know much about nursing and I am trying to find out more information for her. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!