View Full Version : Contract year propaganda!

L&DRN
09-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know if any of you are in unions or not, but this is our contract year (negotiations are going on now), but it always gets pretty humorous at this time. Now the hospital is claiming to be millions down from what they were last quarter and they are having other depts. take low census days to make up the difference (as if having housekeeping stay home is really going to boost their savings!) And now the anesthesiology dept. had a three page list of all the things THEY want changed-a few of them pertaining to our dept of course-they want the docs to go back to doing their own epidurals (the ones that worked only part of the time-the ones that didn't, well, they guessed they just "didn't take"!). I am seriously thinking of looking elsewhere before we are totally back in the dark ages...
Does anyone else's hospital rely on "Press Ganey" scores to rate the patient's satisfaction with their stay? I would like to hear some views on that if anyone is familiar with this.

geenaRN
09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
The first hospital I worked at lived and died by the Press Ganey's.

They were weird in many respects... we had to use a certain amount of linen for each patient per day, etc. It was irritating.

The hospital I work at now is union (for nurses), but there's never been a mention of press ganey. And we can use as much damn linen as we need.

I don't notice a lot of weirdness going on around contract time. I mean, beyond the usual :party:

MyOwnWoman
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Contract year always reminds me of a line from one of Bob Dylan's songs. The line goes.... "must bust in early May, order from the DA," which probably literally translates into.....we gotta look like we're trying to improve and cut costs somewhere also.

Hmmmm, am I beginning to show myself as a huge Dylan fan is or that just my imagination?

L&DRN
09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Add to the pot the fact that JCHO is supposed to be making a visit anytime now ("Oh, they are supposed to be here on Monday!") and the place is in a real buzz! hehe Maybe us nurses just don't quite remember is we have a protocol for that one, Mr. JCHO...sorry.... hmmmmm......

Julie
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Can someone tell me what JCHO is? :nurse:

jojodow
09-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Julie

Used to be known as JCAHO- The Joint Commission and Accredidation of Hospitals Org. I think it's now dubbing it self just "The Joint Commission". (http://www.jointcommission.org/AboutUs/joint_commission_history.htm)

It is the "Big Brother" of US Hospitals. They accredit them using certain criteria with reviews and inspections every couple of years.

Some of their criteria makes sense, some of it, I swear was just to make the jobs of HCPs harder.

A Hospital can ignore them but reputation and finances will be lacking.

:hmpf:

Julie
09-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Many thanks. We have something called the Healthcare Commission that inspects our NHS hospitals. I am not sure who (if any one) inspects the private ones.

I can see how what you describe might be fraught with difficulties.

KimRN
09-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Contract year always reminds me of a line from one of Bob Dylan's songs. The line goes.... "must bust in early May, order from the DA," which probably literally translates into.....we gotta look like we're trying to improve and cut costs somewhere also.

Hmmmm, am I beginning to show myself as a huge Dylan fan is or that just my imagination?

Dylan rocks!:rock: Did you see the "video" for Change of Shift with Dylan? It's a great website!

It always amazes me how poor our thriving hospital becomes when contract negotiations are around the corner. But.. I make good money and job security that you would not believe because of the unions, so I can't complain. And here in CA, we have nurse/patient ratios that have made a huge difference. Not so easy to enforce in the ER - you never know what you are gonna get! :pepsi:

I was gonna use the party smilie and Geena beat me to it.

MyOwnWoman
09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Yep, I saw the Dylan video and made my husband watch it too. Dylan...what can you say....he's on the cutting edge, always has been.:idea:

L&DRN
09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Talk about JOB SECURITY!!! Who is more secure than the Joint Commission??? Geeshhhh!
Connie