View Full Version : What would you change about scrubs?

daisygirl_001
09-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey all~

I am doing research for a line of scrubs and would like to find out what nurses like/ dislike about their uniforms.

I am a fashion design student who spent some time in the hospital for cancer treatment this summer. I was so inspired by the compassion and care shown by the nurses and would like to thank you guys by providing uniform options that are comfy, stylish and help the wearer feel more 'individualized'.

What elements (pockets, elastic waistbands, tagless uniforms, etc) do you look for in a pair of scrubs?

What would you change about scrubs if you had the chance? (here's your chance)

What are the most popular colors worn by nurses? What colors/ prints do you dislike?

What instruments/ items do you carry on your person when you work? (pen, paper, hidden snack ;) )

Thank you for any input. More importantly, thank you for always giving to those around you- giving your time, comforting words, upbeat vibes and patience. It means more than you know.

KimRN
09-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey all~

I am doing research for a line of scrubs and would like to find out what nurses like/ dislike about their uniforms.

I am a fashion design student who spent some time in the hospital for cancer treatment this summer. I was so inspired by the compassion and care shown by the nurses and would like to thank you guys by providing uniform options that are comfy, stylish and help the wearer feel more 'individualized'.

What elements (pockets, elastic waistbands, tagless uniforms, etc) do you look for in a pair of scrubs?

What would you change about scrubs if you had the chance? (here's your chance)

What are the most popular colors worn by nurses? What colors/ prints do you dislike?

What instruments/ items do you carry on your person when you work? (pen, paper, hidden snack ;) )

Thank you for any input. More importantly, thank you for always giving to those around you- giving your time, comforting words, upbeat vibes and patience. It means more than you know.

Well, since you asked....:call2:

I like scrubs that are loose fitting. Thank god for elastic waists! And the scrub tops that are cut too short are definitely not my thing. My hips rebel at the thought of them. I like long scrub tops that cover my hips (They are shy). Things seem to fall out of chest pockets, so I tend to stay away from those.

I like lab coats that hit mid-thigh and the best one ever had had SUBTLE shoulder pads (it was the mid 80s folks)and it fit like a dream.

I carry pens, trauma scissors, a watch. I used to use my Palm Pilot but it was heavy and would fall out of my pockets!

I don't like cargo pants, makes me feel like a plumber with all the paraphernalia sticking out of my scrub pants.

I'm big on solid, dark colors. I went through my SpongeBob SquarePants phase and I think it's really hard to come across as a professional with Patrick Starfish on your chest.

I'd love some new and innovative way to carry a stethoscope without shoving it into a pocket too small or having to carry it around my neck.

Material that doesn't wrinkle and can just be thrown in the dryer for a "fluffing" before work would be heaven.

I have no problems with scrubs that have sports team logos on them. Specifically Notre Dame. Or the Cleveland Browns. I'm just sayin'.

There, aren't you glad you asked? :lol: Thanks for wanting to do this for nurses, btw.

If I had to pick one thing above? I'd sneak those shoulder pads back into lab coats and make them look more feminine.

Oh, if you can design scrubs that hide 30 pounds that would be icing on the cake....:idea:

Jess
09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
As a student nurse, here are my opinions about the scrubs:

When buying scrubs, I make sure there are enough pockets and that they are deep enough to hold the stuff I need. I've stuffed my stethoscope in my pants pocket so many times instead of hanging it around my neck. Very handy.

If I could change my scrubs, I don't think I would. Mine are pretty awesome and there are plenty of pockets. They're quite comfy too.

I really dislike those colorful prints sometimes. They really hurt my eyes and I just like the solid color prints. I'm not too sure what the most popular color for student nurses are, we just wear any color.

I carry a pen, paper, my patient's information sheet and stethoscope.

starkissed
09-16-2007, 01:56 PM
More options with white, please! I like my scrubs to feel soft on the skin and flow with you as you work instead of crunching up because the fabric is so stiff. Maybe add some stain guard in with the white scrubs?

I don't like chest pockets or cargo pants. It is too easy to loose things. Also, the tie tunics are nice, but those strings can get caught up in the washer and so if there was some way to prevent that, it would be nice, too. I like different pockets to put my pens than my scissors etc. Maybe adding some type of velcro or snaps to the pockets to keep them closed so things don't fall out.

Marachne
09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I am all about pockets. I only buy tops with three pockets (breast, two at the bottom, and I really like those with the double pocket on the leg (is that what you mean by cargo pants?) they're the best place to put those pre-filled flushes! I never thought I'd use a breast pocket as I already fill that area quite a bit, but it's so hand for pens and pen-light. I guess it would be nice to have the hem pocket a double pocket so that there was a place to put pens there and I wouldn't worry about loosing it in with the other stuff. I'd also like more than one back pocket.

I like my tops to be below my waist but not to my hips -- it feels too confining! Elastic waists are great IMHO. Oh, and how about us short-not-skinny petites? i.e. pants that are generously cut but have a shorter rise.

I personally like printed tops, although it makes me crazy to see people w/childish prints working with adults--subtle, classy designs are really nice. For me, I like darker, more saturated colors, and I like having the variety to chose a top that either fits my mood, or what's going on (if I know that one of my patients is actively dying, I'll wear something either celestial or just calming).

I carry in my pockets pens, pen light, scissors, hemostat, PDA, alcohol wipes, IV caps, sterile flushes...and when I need them, dressing material, smaller IV bags (esp if they need warming up), tape, stethoscope (pants pocket), and my "brain" (census sheet with report, vitals, things that need to be done, etc.)

Of course, now that I'm switching to the palliative care team, I'll be wearing civvies and a lab coat -- going to be strange!

Caroline
09-16-2007, 03:01 PM
We just got our scrubs for clinicals. The bottoms fit pretty horribly, as they are unisex. I think you can get female ones, right? But it would be nice if schools made them available at the bookstore! Pockets are ideal, too. Also, our tops fit slightly oddly, as well...I actually cut a slit (about 1 inch) on each side because they feel really tight (and like I said, weird) around the waist. And how about some super soft fabric, too!

jojodow
09-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm with Kim on the Stethescope. We need a place for them!
I'm all about the pockets too, I won't buy the scrubs with just one pocket...I need two in the shirt and at least 2 in the pants.
More Petite sizes would be nice...since I'm short, I have to hem all my pants.

I do love the drawstring waists.

I also love the solid styles that are popular right now with the different colored edging around the necklines and down the sides. My Favorite set right now are ones that are Navy blue with a Caduceus on Left chest and have light blue (ciel) edging down the sides and along the hems. It has lots of pockets.

Jess
09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
The drawstring waists are absolutely awesome! My pants are definitely super baggy and I wear a size XS! However, they are very comfy. ;)

Jill Chee
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
The main thing I would like is softer fabrics -- as Starkissed mention most scrub fabrics are so stiff, at least until they've been washed about a hundred times.

I like drawstring waists, but drawstrings combined with elastic waists are nice too.

I prefer solids, or solids with accent stripes. Tastefull patterned tops are OK though -- nothing too "loud" or garish patterns. Leave the cartoon tops to the pediatric nurses please!

Long tunic-type tops please, much better than the shorter ones.

The three pockets, one breast, two bottom of top are probably ideal. I work in the OR so all I carry is a pen, the keys to my office and a roll of Certs. I am an educator though, I realize staff nurses and nurses who work in other areas have a need to carry more with them.

Some sort of stain guard material is really needed for all scrubs.

Daisygirl, thanks so much for being interested in improving our scrubs!

Elocin22
09-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Don't do away with the standard scrub colors. We've recently gone to mandatory royal blue scrubs and none of the "cute" new scrubs are that color. It stinks. I want to be fashionable too!

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't know what it is about our hospital issued scrubs - but I adore them. Here's what I love about them:

-Drawstring waist
-S~O~F~T fabric from multiple washings.
-2 pockets, both big enough to hold my notes and pens

Thanks for asking!

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 07:07 AM
If I had to pick one thing above? I'd sneak those shoulder pads back into lab coats and make them look more feminine.

Kim - have you read the book, "Running With Scissors"? In it, the crazy mom sneaks maxi-pads into the shoulders of her jacket to get just the lift she needs... so crazy it just might work on your lab coats!

:dancing:

KimRN
09-20-2007, 05:37 AM
The drawstring waists are absolutely awesome! My pants are definitely super baggy and I wear a size XS! However, they are very comfy. ;)

A size XS?? If I said I hated you would you take it personally?
:whistle:

Nothing personal, I'm just a Large (used to be an XL) and tiny petite people make me feel....bigger OLOLOLOL

LittleBird
09-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I would love to have scrubs whose fabric had just a little bit of stretch to it. Not like jogging pants or anything like that. But a tiny bit of stretch so it is more comfortable to bend and move. Especially with the "stylish" more fitted scrubs. I am always worried that I am going to rip the but out of my scrubs when climbing up on a bed to transfer a patient. :)

Jess
09-23-2007, 08:13 PM
A size XS?? If I said I hated you would you take it personally? :whistle: Nothing personal, I'm just a Large (used to be an XL) and tiny petite people make me feel....bigger OLOLOLOL

Haha, the XS is the smallest size and I think a lot of my classmates have the same pants. They are absolutely huge!

I would love to have scrubs whose fabric had just a little bit of stretch to it. Not like jogging pants or anything like that. But a tiny bit of stretch so it is more comfortable to bend and move. Especially with the "stylish" more fitted scrubs. I am always worried that I am going to rip the but out of my scrubs when climbing up on a bed to transfer a patient. :)

I know what you mean LittleBird. My pants are extremely baggy but I'm actually glad they are! I don't think too tight pants are great, but I think if you can do lunges/squats in the pants, then you're good to go. ;)

LittleBird
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM
I know what you mean LittleBird. My pants are extremely baggy but I'm actually glad they are! I don't think too tight pants are great, but I think if you can do lunges/squats in the pants, then you're good to go. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I go with the baggy ones as well.... but they're not always all that comfortable. Really, I find that either scrubs are too tight or too baggy. No happy medium.

Jess
09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
My pants have the deepest pockets too! I love them! :) I don't even wear my stethoscope anymore, I just stuff it into my pants pocket. I think scrubs should be kept simple and clean and not too flashy with prints too.

Mother Jones, RN
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I want scrubs that make me look young again. They also must be totally stain resistant, and available in a wide variety of cute colors and patterns.

:dancing::beer:

MyOwnWoman
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I like lots of pockets, but deep pockets. I like cargo pants that have multiple pockets and I like tops that have two pockets. The breast pocket doesn't work for me because everything falls out. I also wear a sleeveless jacket (white so I can wear it with everything) that has two pockets too.

I have to agree with the length of the scrubs. Mine are always too long because petite length is hard to find. I like elastic waists and a pocket to put my stethescope in instead of wearing it around my neck would be priceless......as long as it stays in there.

Thank you so much for caring!

neuronurse
09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
the best pair of scrubs that I have, the top had 3 pockets, all at the waist level, 2 big pockets and a third, smaller one that actually sits inside one of the big ones..it is the perfect size for pens, penlights, it's great! For one day a week I don't loose my pens in my pockets.
I am with the other the breast pockets are useless, things just fall out of them. But I LOVE cargo pants. My biggest pet peeve is that I'm short (not that short, but short enough) and my legs are very short, so most scrubs I end up hemming unless I can find petites, and usually those are only petite in width, not length