View Full Version : Who's the first "nurse" you think about that's on TV?

Jess
09-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone! This is just a fun thread, but I was just curious and who's the first "nurse" you think about that's on TV? Like, which character pops into your head?

I watch Heroes, so of course, I think of Peter Petrelli. ;) He was a former hospice nurse but now he's currently umemployed.

jojodow
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone! This is just a fun thread, but I was just curious and who's the first "nurse" you think about that's on TV? Like, which character pops into your head?

I watch Heroes, so of course, I think of Peter Petrelli. ;) He was a former hospice nurse but now he's currently umemployed.

He is one Hot nurse too! ;)

I'm such an ER fan, I think of the early episodes with Juliana Margulies as Nurse Carol Hathaway.

Even though that show focuses so much on the doctors and is less then medically accurate, Her character was like super nurse.

I think it should focus more on the nurses.

What is it about Hollywood? Do they think Doctors are more interesting then Nurses? Why are all the medical shows centered around Doctors with the nurses being sidekick type supporting roles? :questionmark:

Jess
09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
ER is a great show and I haven't watched it in such a long time! I totally think that Hollywood is shifting to more "nurse" characters but there are a lot of doctors on shows. For example, in LOST, Jack is a doctor. (haha, I keep thinking of hot guys as examples. ;) )

I really think it depends on the character. I love Peter in Heroes and I think medical shows are centered around doctors more because they seem more interesting I guess.

PixelRN
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I will always think of Margaret "hot lips" Houlihan from M*A*S*H. She is one of my favorite TV characters of all time, nurse or otherwise.

Has anyone heard that FOX might be coming out with a drama this season called "Nurses"? I read a review of it.(I'll try to find a link). It sounds like something that would have the Center for Nursing Advocacy in an uproar.

Jess
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I think so! I hear Eliza Dushku will be in the TV show and I loved her in Tru Calling! :) I can't really find a "series premiere date" but it does look kind of interesting.

PixelRN
09-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's a quote from TV.com (http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?tid=99423&ref_id=614&ref_type=101&om_act=convert&om_clk=headlinessh&tag=headlines;title;0):

"This past development season Dushku was a late casting addition on 20th Century Fox TV's heavily reconceived ensemble "Nurses." While that pilot didn't go forward, the network briefly extended the contracts for several of the leads, though "Nurses" appears to finally be on ice."

Guess we won't be seeing a new show about nurses anyhow. No big loss, I guess. I'll bet it probably would have been kind of cheesy.

:nurse:

Jess
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Oh well, that's a bummer, although I wasn't really expecting to see it next week or something. ;)

I really cannot think of any more nurses on TV, Peter is still in my head, haha. :D

PixelRN
09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I also sometimes think of Nurse Helen Rosenthal from St. Elsewhere. I used to love that show. Anyone else out there remember that one?

Mother Jones, RN
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I know I'm giving away my age by saying this, but I think of Nurse Jessie Brewer from General Hospital. She and Dr. Steven Hardy were best friends. I also remember Nurse Helen Rosenthal from St. Elsewhere. She kept everything running smoothly on her unit while the hospital was falling apart. What a professional! :nurse:

geenaRN
09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow. My mom used to watch GH. Jessie Brewer sounds familiar.

cheezesandwich
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Nurse in a tv show... Carol Hathaway is the first character that comes to mind! ;D
If only someday soon, a tv show centered around nurses and their lives would air! Someday... someday.. ;D

Jess
09-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi cheezesandwich! :) Fox did have something like that but I don't think it went through. There definitely will be a TV show centered around nurses one day, I can feel it. :)

MyOwnWoman
09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
The first nurse I think about is the one they called "Ripples" on some silly sitcom. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the sitcom right now.

starkissed
09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I guess with er being shown on tnt all the time, the first nurse that comes to mind for me is Abby from er.

Julie
09-20-2007, 02:58 AM
In the UK we have a programme called Casualty (http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/casualty/), it has been on BBC for about 20 years (hense the name, no ED is called that now). There is a character, a nurse who has been there all along called Charlie Fairhead and he is the first nurse who comes to mind for me.

KimRN
09-20-2007, 05:45 AM
I know I'm giving away my age by saying this, but I think of Nurse Jessie Brewer from General Hospital. She and Dr. Steven Hardy were best friends. I also remember Nurse Helen Rosenthal from St. Elsewhere. She kept everything running smoothly on her unit while the hospital was falling apart. What a professional! :nurse:

Ol Jess and STeve had somethin' goin' on! LOL!

I think of HOt LIps (the TV version) first thing. But I also remember the first nurse I saw on TV was "Julia" and it was a big thing that she was black and hired by a white doctor - about 1966, I think it started the same year as the Monkees. May have been on Tuesdays on NBC. She had a great cap.

PixelRN
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
What about Bobbie Spencer from GH. Wasn't she a nurse?

I always watched Guiding Light which was on opposite of GH and as far as I know, didn't have any nurses.

Mother Jones, RN
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah, Bobby Spencer was a nurse on GH. I remember her when she was a student nurse. She was a very BAD girl back then, but then she grew up and became a wonderful nurse. :nurse:

geenaRN
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
What about Bobbie Spencer from GH. Wasn't she a nurse?

I always watched Guiding Light which was on opposite of GH and as far as I know, didn't have any nurses.

Oh yeah!! That's who I was thinking of. Bobbie, Jessie... oy.

P/J
09-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan from MASH.

There used to be a program on Australian TV about 'the nurses of ward 17' called All Saints. This has now been changed to follow the lives of the staff of the ED (mainly doctors). Aren't we nurses interesting enough?

jojodow
09-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I think that "Nurses" show and concept has been in the works off and on for a long time.

"Friends" fans, If you remember the last season of friends Joey turned down an audition for the lead part in a fictional show called "Nurses" about Male Nurses that turned out to be a big hit. I remember reading that particular little plot line was based on an NBC idea to do same show by the same name.
Here's a link to IMDB that lists 4 TV shows about Nurses:
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Nurses)

I guess Test audiences just wanna see Doctors...I think
It's all in the writing and chemistry of the actors.

Jess
09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Hmm, I don't really remember that from Friends and I watch it all the time! The only time I remember "nurse" on Friends is when Mona dressed up as a nurse and when Phoebe was the nurse/waitress, haha. :D

I think that a TV show about nurses would be totally awesome, but since Grey's Anatomy is such a hit, I doubt we'll see a show centered around nurses in the near future. If people had to pick, they'll probably watch Grey's Anatomy over a TV show about nurses.

Julie
09-24-2007, 03:04 AM

Does that go back to the stereotype debate? To the general public Doctors are male, good looking and very clever while nurses are female, can look any old how and are the hand maiden of the doctor. Whats more the nurse just wants to marry that doctor?

jojodow
09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Does that go back to the stereotype debate? To the general public Doctors are male, good looking and very clever while nurses are female, can look any old how and are the hand maiden of the doctor. Whats more the nurse just wants to marry that doctor?

You're right Julie, It does.

Hollywood (Or the BBC? in your case) Just needs to get their heads out of their you-know-whats and get something together that has real promise. The idea is out there, they just need the right actors and good writers.

KimRN
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah, Bobby Spencer was a nurse on GH. I remember her when she was a student nurse. She was a very BAD girl back then, but then she grew up and became a wonderful nurse. :nurse:

Weren't we all??? : D

KimRN
09-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Good lord. I wouldn't marry a doctor if my life depended on it. Unless he looked like Jeff Goldblum and then I'd have to reconsider.:knuddel:

jojodow
09-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Good lord. I wouldn't marry a doctor if my life depended on it. Unless he looked like Jeff Goldblum and then I'd have to reconsider.:knuddel:

Jeff Goldblum?? Really??

I guess I shouldn't talk, Ewan McGregor and Adrian Brody top my list of famous guys. lol

Nurse Ceejay
09-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I would go for nurse Carol Hathaway from ER. She's a tough cookie and her own woman.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Surprisingly, I really like the Carla character on Scrubs. Sassy, confident, and knows how to adapt to situations and make them work for the patient.

The first nurse I can remember seeing on TV was that show that had Loni Anderson in it - it was all about nurses (1980's). I don't remember hte name of it though.

Nurse Stella
10-03-2007, 07:15 AM
The first nurse I remember seeing on tv was "Julia", played by Diannah Carroll. Then there was Consuela on "Marcus Welby, MD", Julie on "Emergency"... LOL- I am dating myself here.:) Before Bobbie Spencer on GH, I recall Jessie Brewer, with her starched uniform and cap. I think she's the one who got me thinking about nursing- I thought all doctors were like Dr. Steve Hardy!

B.

MyOwnWoman
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I also sometimes think of Nurse Helen Rosenthal from St. Elsewhere. I used to love that show. Anyone else out there remember that one?

I think I cut my teeth on St. Elsewhere. St. Elsewhere is the standard that all other medical series are based on!

KimRN
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I think that "Nurses" show and concept has been in the works off and on for a long time.

"Friends" fans, If you remember the last season of friends Joey turned down an audition for the lead part in a fictional show called "Nurses" about Male Nurses that turned out to be a big hit. I remember reading that particular little plot line was based on an NBC idea to do same show by the same name.
Here's a link to IMDB that lists 4 TV shows about Nurses:
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Nurses)

Oh honey, trust me - cast Jeff Goldblum, Will Smith, Harrison Ford or Matt Damon as an RN and the female contingent will be wiping drool marks off the screen!

Scalpal Sal
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Well.......... I hate to show my age but... I remember in the late 50's and early 60's - Emergency Ward 10 !!!!!

The "main" nurse was Jill Brown as nurse Carol Young, I dont think I ever saw her empty a bedpan or give a bedbath !

ahhhhhhh those were the days (NOT) when all a nurse needed to know was which of the doctors were eligable batchelors, and who's turn it was to be the centre of attraction that week !!!

The biggest disaster was having a ladder in those black seamed stockings. (I hated those, and was so glad when we could wear tights).

:hahaha:

Dutchie
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Now I am showing my age. When I think nurse on TV I think of "Julia". Anyone even know who I'm talking about? Nurses on TV seem so fake to me. Especially on the soaps. :hmpf:

woodarae
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Surprisingly, I really like the Carla character on Scrubs. Sassy, confident, and knows how to adapt to situations and make them work for the patient.

The first nurse I can remember seeing on TV was that show that had Loni Anderson in it - it was all about nurses (1980's). I don't remember hte name of it though.
I agree! I love Carla, I think the best episode was where Turk was in the doghouse for giving her a pamphlet on a NP program and asking why she wanted to be "just a nurse".

Cranky_Student_Nurse
07-10-2008, 01:40 AM
I remember Abby Lockhart and how they convinced her to become a Doctor rather than a nurse. And I'm all... WTF is wrong with being a nurse?

Samantha Taggert is my hero. I loved how she beat up Dr Romano and how tough she is. She's wildly inaccurate as a character (meaning from what I understand, she's not even close to how a real nurse is) but I love her.

Audrey28
07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Well I see this thread was posted a while ago but thought I would comment anyway...

Well being that I was an Army Gf [not sure what we are now]- but I loved watching Army Wives on Lifetime, and Denise [played by Catherine Bell]- was a great Nurse I thought... They didn't primarily focus on her- but one episode was dedicated to her and her job b/c her husband wanted her to quit- but he came to visit her at the hospital and she saved someone's life while he was there- it was awesome I thought- and gave nurses the credit they deserve...

I use to also watch General Hospital- but they didn't show much with nurses LOL

And of course ER- I love SAM! LOL
I like SCRUBS too- which is just for a laugh...

And I grew up watching MASH LOL I liked- Margaret "Hotlips" Houlihan Rank: Major
Her bio: She was born in an army hospital and spent her early years at Fort Ord, California. Her father is "Howitzer" Al Houlihan and her mother was an army nurse. Stationed in Tokyo before going to the 4077th. Has a sister who is also an Army Nurse.

shrinknp
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Jessie Brewer, Laura, and Julia. Who remembers Julia? Loved that show.

DisappearingJohn
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Especially with the one saying "My mom used to watch General Hospital"

The first two that came to mind simultaneously were Dixie McCall from Emergency!, and Hot Lips Houlihan from M*A*S*H*

Time to start looking for a rocking chair, I guess!

Mother Jones, RN
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm not going to mind sitting in a rocking chair just as long as I have my computer in front of me.

MJ

P/J
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
It is interesting how the same nurses keep coming up in this thread. They are all American representations of nurses (or the majority are). Can anyone think of any nurses from other countries?

British:
Nurse Jean Pargetter - As time goes by.
Joan Sims (Actress) - Carry on Nurses (movie)

Medic09
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Dixie McCall at Rampart Hospital from the show Emergency.

But then, I'm a paramedic...:proud:

Mother Jones, RN
10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Dixie was sweet on paramedics :knuddel::handkiss:

MJ

CNAKing
03-03-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm the biggest ER fan. The first that comes to mind is ABBY off of ER. I love ER!!

CNAKing
03-03-2009, 05:52 AM
[QUOTE=CNAKing;5870]I'm the biggest ER fan. The first nurse that comes to mind is ABBY off of ER. I love ER!!

Jules
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I automatically think of some of the nurses portrayed on Grey's Anatomy. There is one male nurse with strong convictions, and who is not afraid to confront the physician with his opinions on what is best for the patient.

beckistar
06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Duffy from Casualty!