View Full Version : Do you already know what you want to specialize in?

09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi all!

For students: do you already know what you want to specialize in? I keep getting asked that by my professors and instructors and I keep telling them "I'm not exactly sure yet, I'm open to everything!"

For others: how did you know what you wanted to specialize in?

09-16-2007, 02:07 PM
People are asking me this, and my answer is "no friggin' clue." Although more and more, I think I want to start out in med surg for a really good foundation and a way to see a lot of different stuff. I start clinicals in a few weeks so that might help, too. I've thought about a ton of options: ICU, OR, ER, spinal cord rehab, geriatrics, infectious disease, public health, hospice, oncology, anything renal or cadiac...that's what I love about nursing! I can do ALL of these things if I want! (Of course, that would be a loooong career...)

09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Haha, that's why I went into nursing! I can do so many different areas and I know I'll get a job right away! :) I was on a renal unit and it was pretty cool, renal is a nice area, but I think half my year has no clue what they want to do yet! I mean, heck, we're only in our second year! Some definitely want to travel, which I think would be super cool.

11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I want to work in a cardiac unit, and I think I have always known that. Before nursing school I worked in a large, urban cardiology center. I developed a love for the heart and that love has only intensified during nursing school.