View Full Version : StereoTypes

P/J
09-18-2007, 05:25 AM
The one stereo types that I hate is the nurse dating the doctor, why can't we have some hot doctor chasing the tall, hot, mascaline nurse. Hmmmmm I should stop daydreaming.

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 07:13 AM
There was a "Scrubs" episode on that and the tall, hot masculine nurse was played by Rick(y) Schroeder.

Jess
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
:D That is the most common stereotype on TV! Another stereotype is that the doctor is always hot. Come on now, if all the doctors in the world were that hot, I would date them! ;)

I think another "good" stereotype for nurses is that we are like angels. I mean, I know not all nurses are angels, but it is kind of a sweet stereotype in my opinion.

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, the angel stereotype is a tired one. It's true, I do this kind of work (nursing) because it is spiritually fulfilling but I also don't mind getting paid for it.

Jess
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I just have to say that the angel stereotype is way better than the "hot/naughty nurse." Oh my goodness, that "hot nurse" stereotype is going to be around forever! There are movies now and then that always has the naughty nurse or something, haha. I know a lot of girls dress up as a nurse for Halloween too. ;)

Julie
09-18-2007, 01:31 PM
The trouble is that the angel sterotype contributes to the whole idea that nursing is a vocation, that you don't need to be paid much to do it, and probably to the whole hand maiden thing.

In reality most nurses are professionals who are doing this as a job, ok so they no they are not going to get rich but they deserve a fair pay for what they do. Just a thought.

Jess
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
The angel stereotype comes with the "volunteer" type person I think. It's like the stereotype of the "hot nurse" will always be a hot woman and people will rarely think of a hot guy or something.

I was just reading this and from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_stereotypes

"The image of a nurse as an "angel of mercy"—selfless, altruistic reliever of suffering—is based on the origin of nursing in the religious orders. In modern times, Florence Nightingale was the epitome of the nurse as an angel.

However, angels can fall from grace. Nurses such as Beverley Allitt or Kristen Gilbert, who have deliberately killed patients under their care, have frequently been referred to as "angels of death"."

I totally forgot abou the angels of death. That's not good. Not good at all.

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I think what it really comes down to is that the idea of a "nurse" is really so iconic in our society, whether it's an angel icon or a slutty icon.

Jess
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
It definitely is "out there" if you guys know what I mean. People are aware that there is a nursing shortage, people are aware that they could one day be a nurse. (Hopefully not a hot/slutty nurse, but it's probably in everyone's head, haha.)

jojodow
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
It's just men...they'll turn anything into a sexual fantasy. (J/K Guys!)

I do think we are moving away from that in society. People are starting to realize that Nurses have to be well educated with what they do. It's why are the most respected profession now.

PixelRN
09-19-2007, 07:53 AM
The interesting thing is how much respect I see from my patients and their families. When I'm at work I always feel like people appreciate the job that I'm doing.

When you watch medical TV shows it's a whole dif. story, though.

Jess
09-19-2007, 11:53 AM
However, we have seen more "angels of death" because of the news! I've seen CNN do a few segments about it and it's quite scary. The media definitely is a huge part of all stereotypes (dumb blondes, etc.) Everyone watches TV, so I guess we won't see steretotypes dying down anytime soon.

Jess
09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm not too sure if this is the correct thread to post this under, but have you guys seen this new Dentyne Ice commercial that involves nurses? Oh my goodness, I saw it and I laughed. This patient with a broken leg takes a piece of gum from an elderly patient that's beside him. The patient calls the nurse, who is very pretty, says "Hi" and whatnot, the nurse is like "Hi, I'm Kendra(?)" and they get really close. The nurse realizes there's an elderly patient right beside the patient's bed and closes the blinds. I don't remember if the elderly patient eats the gum too, but he calls a nurse too and gets a pretty elderly nurse that shows up.

Quite funny commercial, but geez, my mind was like "What the heck is going on????!!!!"

Marachne
09-20-2007, 05:49 PM
It's interesting that Florence Nightengale is seen as the modern Nurse Angel. Yea, she's the "lady with the lamp," but she was also one of the first epidemiologists and a rigorous scientist.

Jess
09-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Something else that people tell me, as a student nurse, is "be a doctor!" I'm not sure if this is a "stereotype" but I think it is. I think a lot of people think a "doctor" has more knowledge than a nurse or something and it's a stereotype that will be around probably for a long long time. For example, the most common is probably asking kids "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And many will say the most common jobs like "Lawyer or doctor." Why? Because society...parents, the media etc are passing that down to kids.

I think something that goes with the "naughty" nurse stereotype is that everyone thinks a nurse just wants to steal the physician/doctor and marry him/her, haha. :D The media sure is influencing society...

jojodow
09-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Something else that people tell me, as a student nurse, is "be a doctor!" I'm not sure if this is a "stereotype" but I think it is. I think a lot of people think a "doctor" has more knowledge than a nurse or something and it's a stereotype that will be around probably for a long long time. For example, the most common is probably asking kids "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And many will say the most common jobs like "Lawyer or doctor." Why? Because society...parents, the media etc are passing that down to kids.

I think something that goes with the "naughty" nurse stereotype is that everyone thinks a nurse just wants to steal the physician/doctor and marry him/her, haha. :D The media sure is influencing society...

I got the question "Why don't you just go to medcial school and be a Doctor?" from a lot of people throught school and since.

I just tell them that I think that I'd like to actually have a life with my family and friends!

Afterall, when I'm on my death bed...what memories will I be cherishing?

Jess
09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Haha, nice answer jojodow! :D I mean, sure, I can be a doctor, but geez, it's a lot of work and extremely tough/hard. I respect the people who want to be doctors but I, myself don't want to be in school forever!

My parents kept telling me to be a pharmacist too! They kept saying "It's better hours, the hours are good, etc"

Which is true, but I want to be a nurse. :)

P/J
09-23-2007, 11:09 AM

I do think we are moving away from that in society. People are starting to realize that Nurses have to be well educated with what they do. It's why are the most respected profession now.

Someone made the comment the other day. Nursing: medicine condensed into 3 years instead of 6.

P/J
09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
It's interesting that Florence Nightingale is seen as the modern Nurse Angel. Yea, she's the "lady with the lamp," but she was also one of the first epidemiologists and a rigorous scientist.

ahhhhh Florence Nightingale... the pin-up woman of nursing. Didn't do much 'nursing' according to the records. Did more about improving hospital conditions for patients through policy writing.

Jess
09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Does anyone else feel that the media will influence or change how society views nurses? Peter in Heroes will definitely influence male nurses because heck, it is an extremely popular show! They could've made Peter a doctor, but by making him a nurse, I think it is totally awesome. I totally believe the media will influence how we view nurses and reach out to teens, but there are still those commercials/shows that show some "hot" nurses or people who dress up as a "hot" nurse for Halloween.

MyOwnWoman
09-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Just a quick little thought. Nurses and Doctors have different perspective when treating a patient.

Nurses tend to the physical, emotional, and the beside issue of every day life and death. Doctors tend to the physical, the labs and other such things.

Each of us play an important role, but each role is different.

I became a nurse because I wanted to be directly involved in the care of the patient at the bedside; doctors do not often get that opportunity.

When I'm told, "Honey, you're way too smart to be a nurse you should go back to school and be a doctor." I smile sincerely and tell them, "I'm to smart to be a doctor, I'd rather spend more time with them."

Jess
09-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I became a nurse because I wanted to be directly involved in the care of the patient at the bedside; doctors do not often get that opportunity.

During my first semester of my first year in nursing we had to write a paper about nursing as a profession and I put that as a reason. Doctors really don't get to spend so much time with patients and nurses have the chance to really communicate with the patients.

In the end, if I had to choose one stereotype that sticks to everyone's head it is that everyone thinks all nurses are females.

Jess
10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not too sure if this is the correct thread to post this under, but have you guys seen this new Dentyne Ice commercial that involves nurses? Oh my goodness, I saw it and I laughed. This patient with a broken leg takes a piece of gum from an elderly patient that's beside him. The patient calls the nurse, who is very pretty, says "Hi" and whatnot, the nurse is like "Hi, I'm Kendra(?)" and they get really close. The nurse realizes there's an elderly patient right beside the patient's bed and closes the blinds. I don't remember if the elderly patient eats the gum too, but he calls a nurse too and gets a pretty elderly nurse that shows up.

Quite funny commercial, but geez, my mind was like "What the heck is going on????!!!!"

Just wanted to give everyone an update about this post. Apparently the ad got pulled, if you didn't see it, this was the Dentyne ad I was talking about:

http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/images/commercials/2007/dentyne.mov

You can read all about it here:

http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/news/2007/oct/06_dentyne.html

"Nursing supporters have persuaded Cadbury Schweppes to withdraw a "naughty nurse" television ad its Canadian division had been running for Dentyne Ice gum."

NurseSean
12-13-2007, 07:58 AM

LOL....you can't fool us male nurses! We spend day in and day out surrounded by women...who certainly do their own share of fantasizing about doctors! Usually it's McDreamy from Grey's Anatomy....does that count? hehehehe

And more than once, I've caught all the female nurses gathered around the computer ogling some hot man they found a picture of on the internet...giggling away!

You're secrets out! Women do it to!

:P

Marachne
12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
As far as the "you're so smart, why don't you be a doctor." besides the things people have said, what I tend to say is that I like the nursing model a lot better than the medical model -- it's holistic and patient centered (rather than disease centered).

Not exactly related, but something I wanted to share about the influence of media: studies show that a little more than 50% of hospitalized patients survive CPR, but only 14% survive to discharge. Now interestingly, back in the 90's someone watched Rescue 911, Chicago Hope, and ER and the survival rate was 75% with 67% surviving to discharge. The patients portrayed were, for the most part trauma patients (who have the highest survival rate -- they tend to be young w/o a lot of co-morbidities...not exactly the typical hospital pt. When asked about this, the producer or director or whoever had just gotten their MD and they insisted that they were very careful to be realistic and that "people don't believe what they see on TV" (hah!).

Another study asked people about their expectations: (http://www.aemj.org/cgi/content/abstract/7/1/48) "to determine public expectations of CPR and correlate these expectations with various sources of information regarding CPR, including age, television, personal medical training, public programs, friends/family with medical training, and personal experience with CPR. Methods: A written survey was randomly distributed to local church congregations and completed on a voluntary basis. Results: Ninety-six percent of the respondents expected CPR to be unrealistically effective. "

KimRN
12-27-2007, 02:06 PM
LOL....you can't fool us male nurses! We spend day in and day out surrounded by women...who certainly do their own share of fantasizing about doctors! Usually it's McDreamy from Grey's Anatomy....does that count? hehehehe

And more than once, I've caught all the female nurses gathered around the computer ogling some hot man they found a picture of on the internet...giggling away!

You're secrets out! Women do it to!

:P

Okay, I'll own up to one sexist comment. A hunky young cardiologist walked by - I'd never seen him before - and I said, "Man, nursing has it's fringe benefits and docs like him are one of them!"

Yes, I did say that. I'm so ashamed.

Anyway, the doctor behind me got really mad and said that "If a man said that it would be sexual harrassment!"

I said, "Don't worry Dr. Smith, you're cute, too!"

:curtsey: