View Full Version : The Health Care Debate

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Clinton Unveils New Health Care Plan (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-na-clinton18sep18,1,871750.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true)

What does everyone think about this? Agree? Disagree?

I tend to think her ideas of funding her plan are unrealistic i.e. rolling back the Bush tax cuts, and modernizing the healthcare delivery system to save money

The combination of forcing businesses to take on more of the cost of healthcare, combined with increasing taxes will surely cause an even bigger recession than the one we're in now, effectively lowering the tax revenue the gov't can pull in from it's taxpayers.

Any thoughts?

Jess
09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, I'm not too much into politics and all that, but I think I would definitely vote for her if I was in the USA. Her plan is quite impressive and she is very determined. However, I haven't had a chance to really read a lot of politics because of school. :D

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 03:16 PM
When I was in nursing school some of our instructors were quite political so we always got a healthy dose of politics, whether we liked it or not.

Mother Jones, RN
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
My family talked about politics every night around the dinner table, so now I follow politics like others follow football teams. I'm not one of Clinton's biggest fans, but something has to be done about our country's health care system. I think, however, her plan is a little over the top. :pepsi:

jojodow
09-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't vote for her. I love the idea of a woman president I just don't think she's the right woman for the job.

I got this in an email today from Physicians for a National Health Program:

The bad news is that the number of uninsured jumped sharply last year, to 47 million.

The "new" Hillary Clinton proposal for health reform wouldn't make much of a dent in that figure. Her plan would attempt to shore up the crumbling private health insurance industry with tax credits and mandates that individuals and employers buy private coverage. Overall, Clinton's plan is basically the same as the plans endorsed by her Democratic (Edwards, Obama) and even GOP rivals, including Mitt Romney's flawed Massachusetts' health plan.

PixelRN
09-19-2007, 06:59 AM
My family talked about politics every night around the dinner table, so now I follow politics like others follow football teams.

MJ, my family was the same way, and I too follow politics as if it were a sport. The presidential election is kind of like my superbowl.

Julie
09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I find politics strangely compelling.

In the UK we are obliged to keep up to date with events in the US as we are so often affected by them. For example this weekend there has been a 'run' on a UK bank because of inter bank credit issues originating in the US.

PixelRN
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I think that in this day and age you can't really discuss politics without going global. For instance, any time you mention the debate in the US over healthcare has got to consider how other countries (UK, Canada, etc.) have dealt with this issue.

That is one reason why I love nurse blogging because it has put me in touch with nurses from all over the world!

jojodow
09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I think that in this day and age you can't really discuss politics without going global. For instance, any time you mention the debate in the US over healthcare has got to consider how other countries (UK, Canada, etc.) have dealt with this issue.

That is one reason why I love nurse blogging because it has put me in touch with nurses from all over the world!

On that note, Isn't it amazing that Nursing concepts and Theory are basically the same around the world?

I used to read a blog from a nurse in Australia and I still read you UK folks across the pond. I'm struck not only by the similarities in the jobs themselves but by the basic "caring" concepts that hold true no matter what the specialty.

MyOwnWoman
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally, when Hillary Clinton presented her Health Care Reform she was all gun-ho for it; and the fact is that is was a fairly decent reform at the time.

Then...........the Health Care people got a hold of her, gave her a 6 figure salary (I thinking 2nd only to George W. Bush) and she became silent.

I don't know, something sounds a little fishy there. If anyone would care to enlighten me, I'd be more than happy to listen.

jojodow
09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally, when Hillary Clinton presented her Health Care Reform she was all gun-ho for it; and the fact is that is was a fairly decent reform at the time.

Then...........the Health Care people got a hold of her, gave her a 6 figure salary (I thinking 2nd only to George W. Bush) and she became silent.

I don't know, something sounds a little fishy there. If anyone would care to enlighten me, I'd be more than happy to listen.

Wow! I didn't know about that...does sound fishy.

I'll have to do more research. Hard to find unbiased research about politics these days though. The spin doctors can make anything look middle of the road. I have no idea what's the truth and what's not.

It all just makes me wanna throw my hands up and say forget it.

Julie
09-24-2007, 02:01 AM
You want to be over here in the UK where it is now impossible to tell which political party is left or right winged given that they all try to appear that they sit in what the media calls 'the centre ground'. Because we have had a change of Prime Minister there are now romours that there is to be a 'snap election' this autumn (oh joy!!!)

jojodow
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
You want to be over here in the UK where it is now impossible to tell which political party is left or right winged given that they all try to appear that they sit in what the media calls 'the centre ground'. Because we have had a change of Prime Minister there are now romours that there is to be a 'snap election' this autumn (oh joy!!!)

You had a change in PM? OK, now I KNOW I've been working too hard and completely ignoring the news! LOL

Julie
09-25-2007, 02:14 AM
You had a change in PM? OK, now I KNOW I've been working too hard and completely ignoring the news! LOL

Yes we have Gordon Brown, I think he has been over to see Bush. He is reasonably unassuming, not charismatic like blair, but then again I think people are liking that!

Mother Jones, RN
09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Excellent observation, My Own Woman. I really don't know whom to support for next Presidential election. None of the candidates strike me as being too genuine.

:pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:

KimRN
09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Yes we have Gordon Brown, I think he has been over to see Bush. He is reasonably unassuming, not charismatic like blair, but then again I think people are liking that!

I sure liked Tony Blair. I remember a site that had "Tony Blair for President" gear! :)

Okay, he was handsome.

Geeze, do I have to admit everything?

jojodow
09-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah I'd have to agree with you Kim.
I have a thing for a guy with an English/UK accent though.
Hey Julie, Start sending some my way!
:date: