View Full Version : What Would You Change?

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 11:57 AM
If you could change any one thing about your nursing school, what would it be?

For me, I would have increased the amount of clinicals that students do from the start. We didn't start clinicals early enough and I felt like I could have used more hands on training, earlier.

Jess
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Hmm, this is quite a tough question! Let me think...

I totally agree with you about clinical experience, it is a must and I still remember the first day I was at clinical and I was like "What? I have to walk into a patient's room? What?" Haha, that was a pretty weird day. ;)

I absolutely dread those nursing theory courses. They are so dry and boring and I cannot stand them. I wish they could just put it into another course for 2 weeks or something and not make it an entire class. We were all totally confused and in the end, I didn't really learn a lot from it.

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Yes, nursing theory can be very dry and boring, and I daresay there are some academics out there that thrive on the "wordiness" of it all. I remember learning about the "nursing process" and when I finally got the concept of it I realized how simple it was.

So why do people write pages and pages on it to fill up textbooks? Why not just present it as the simple concept that it really it?

Jess
09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree, nursing theory is quite helpful even if it is dry, but 4 months of it? No thank you. I ended up skipping the last few weeks of that course just because I would've learnt more by reading the textbook/notes myself than going there and watching my professor talk. It ended up as the most pointless class ever.

Something else I would change is clinical placements. Why can't students choose his/her own placements? This is way easier since some hospitals are so far away! The instructors/professors are always like "You should experience other hospitals" which is true, but sometimes I'm not in a mood to catch a bus and change buses and etc. Choosing our own placements would make us more happy, haha. :D

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
That sucks! We were always able to choose our own clincal assignments in school as long as they were available.

Jess
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Really? For mine it's "whichever lab/clinical you've signed up for, you have to stay in it." Which is kind of weird because what happens if you always pick a lab/clinical that's at the same hospital? Kind of pointless, but I think the instructors switch people around so we'll all have to end up going to all the hospitals eventually.

PixelRN
09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Actually, we could choose which clinical assignments we wanted but they were offered on a first come, first served basis, so you weren't guaranteed to get what you wanted. For the most part it worked out pretty good.

P/J
11-16-2007, 03:55 AM
We put in preferences for where we would like to go, various hospitals innercity and outercity, public and private, childrens. They then assign you one of your top 5. Some people had particular reasons to go to children's so they got it this year. We were allowed to change after semester one, but many people stayed with their first choice.

Now we have been told that everyone will be changing and people aren't happy (ok, so its the people who got to stay at the children's hospital). Anyway I like that it is changing. So my first change is, clinical placements rotate around wards and hospitals.

Clinical educators who know how to do things would be good as well.:confused:
Better clinical lab sessions, where we have set procedure to our learning.
Lecturers who use the prescribed txt and not the one that they prefer.

gracenotes1
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I would like to have had more clinical skills earlier on. I was a Senior in nursing school before I ever started my first IV--by then I was in a panic about it. I thought--when I get out of here people are going to expect me to knwo this stuff.
Our school was so focused on management that we did not get enough clinical.

Mr Ian
02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I was lucky enough to have my suggested improvements and changes carried out.
After we finished our course they closed the school. Then the hospital.

Do_Good
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree with the thougtht that you should be able to choose at which site you have clinical especially with gas prices going so high.

I am also tired of the nursing instructors who still live by the code "Nurses eat their young". We have a few of those at our school and they scare everyone.

malenurse354
01-02-2013, 11:39 PM
I would like to have had more clinical skills earlier on. I was a Senior in nursing school before I ever started my first IV--by then I was in a panic about it. I thought--when I get out of here people are going to expect me to knwo this stuff.
Our school was so focused on management that we did not get enough clinical.
Agree!!! I think more clinical skills should be learned in school as I think it is really what's necessary!There should also be less emphasis on theories