View Full Version : What did you do after you finished school?

Jess
09-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi all. I'm just curious to know what you did after you finished school. Did you decide to start working right away? Did you take a break?

geenaRN
09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
I had a contract with a local hospital. They gave me a scholarship in exchange for working for them for 3 years after I graduated.

So I did. I started working before I even took boards. I stayed for pretty much *exactly* 3 years and then I moved out here to the West coast. I did have to take a break then - getting one's license in CA takes quite a bit of time. As soon as I got it, I started working again.

Julie
09-21-2007, 02:56 AM
I trained in London and after I qualified I stayed there for a while even though I had moved to out of the city and had to commute by train. I worked in a ward that wasn't part of the NHS but pretty much treated 'health tourists' who were often either Arabs or Greek. We did everything, since the people were both medical and surgical patients. There was however alot of neuro surgery, since one of the consultants used to holiday in cyprus, hold clinics while there and then on his return they and their brain tumors and aneurysms would arrive!!

It was busy and slightly stressful as they were all private rooms and you could see no one from the nurses station, but I found it valuable experience for later. I stayed for about 9 months then moved closer to home.

Mother Jones, RN
09-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I graduated on a Friday, and I reported to work at my local hospital on a Monday. The biggest break that I've ever had from nursing was a two week stretch after the birth of each of my children. I had kids before the establishment of the the Family Leave Act. I would have lost my job if I had been off longer than two weeks. Thank God some things have changed.

:party:

PixelRN
09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I got a job lined up while still a student. I graduated in December and was offered a job in December, but I wasn't able to start working until the end of February because they wouldn't let me even schedule orientation until my NCLEX results came through.

It was nice to have a little break between school and work, though.

geenaRN
09-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Wow, MJ. I was in absolutely no shape to return to work 2 weeks after having my son. I don't know what I would have done.

Gone back, I guess, but I would not have been a very good nurse.

Mother Jones, RN
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
It was very hard going back to work. I also had to work right up to my due date. The whole thing added up to a huge case of postpartum depression after the birth of my second child. I wasn't a psych nurse back then, and I didn't know anything about postpartum depression. My next door neighbor was a nurse, so I turned to her for help. I told her about all the crazy thoughts that were running through my head, and she got me to a doctor STAT. I'm glad that people are talking about this stuff now, so other woman don't have to suffer with postpartum depression like I did. :secret:

Julie
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow MJ I am not surprised. Just like Geena I would have been in no fit state to work 2 weeks after delivery. I went back to work when my son was 5 months old and that was hard enough - leaking breast milk while standing in the office speaking to patients on the phone. I was allowed to work part time for 3 months as at the time there were no part time jobs for district nurses. Things have changed now thank goodness!

Jess
09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Wow! As a student, it's great to see that I'll get a job right away. I kind of already knew that when I was going into nursing since, well, there's a nursing shortage, haha. ;)

Great stories everyone! Keep them coming! :) I think my plan after I graduate is to maybe take a year off and just relax. I'm not sure if I want to go traveling but maybe just relax at home. I guess it all depends on if I find a job during my last year of nursing or something. However, right now that's my plan after I finish school. To relax. :D

jojodow
09-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Geez MJ, I can't believe that you only had 2 weeks off! Deplorable by today's standards.

Since I worked as a CNA through Nursing school, I felt I owed my boss (Who was soo great about school) at least a year. So I stayed 13 months and was just so burnt out by the hours,commute, etc. I started "looking" at the 12 month mark.

Jess, It was amazing to me, when I started applying, that after submitting applications online they were calling me back the very next day! That's never happened to me before. They made me an "offer" knowing I could turn it down and go elsewhere. It's kind of a nice feeling being in high demand. :congrats:

My last semester we had recruiters from the hospitals buying us lunch in between lectures to try and get us in. Most of my classmates had positions secured before graduation.

Jess
09-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow jojodow, that's amazing! I think the last year of nursing I'll definitely take a look around and probably see what my friends are doing as well. I have 2 more years, so I guess I'll see what happens then.

Did any of you guys move because of a great offer someplace else or did you just stay in the same city?

neuronurse
09-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow jojodow, that's amazing! I think the last year of nursing I'll definitely take a look around and probably see what my friends are doing as well. I have 2 more years, so I guess I'll see what happens then.

Did any of you guys move because of a great offer someplace else or did you just stay in the same city?
I moved, but it was a planned move. I knew that I wanted to move to a big city with a major medical center. So I applied/was offered a job prior to graduation and schedualed a start date 2 1/2 months after graduation. So between graduation and the first day of work I found an apartment/moved and studied/took NCLEX.

If you're considering moving, I would recommend giving yourself more time. It was a lot of work, and took a very large toll on my family.... eek!

starkissed
09-30-2007, 01:28 AM
I worked through school as an extern, and so I am now currently working in the same place, at least until next May. I had to wait until my official papers came in for graduation before I could start work, so I was off for about 3 weeks. I began as an RN applicant, which changed as soon as I passed boards. I would love to look at a larger hospital system, especially one that does a lot of teaching. I really think it would it be interesting. But then again, I don't know that I would want to commute either.

KimRN
09-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I graduated on a Friday, and I reported to work at my local hospital on a Monday. The biggest break that I've ever had from nursing was a two week stretch after the birth of each of my children. I had kids before the establishment of the the Family Leave Act. I would have lost my job if I had been off longer than two weeks. Thank God some things have changed.

:party:

Holy cow! Two weeks? I had three c-sections and had to go back in five weeks for #2 because hubby was a student and we had very little money!

It took me two weeks just to be able to stand up straight! :eek:

KimRN
09-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi all. I'm just curious to know what you did after you finished school. Did you decide to start working right away? Did you take a break?

I passed out.

Took the boards a month later (we had to sit and take them in a huge hall with proctors monitoring it - six hours a day for two days - the good ol' days), worked in med-surg at a VA hospital for three months and found my calling in Coronary Care.

You would be shocked at the changes I've seen in just 29 years, I imagine I'll be saying the same thing 29 years from now!

And yes, I'll still be working. I just know it. :proud:

Marachne
09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
As I said in another thread, I graduated in December from an accelerated bacc program. I had talked w/the VA LTC DoN who had agreed to hire me (I didn't want to work acute care), then we had a big snow/ice storm (well, for the Pacific NW that doesn't have dedicated snow plows) that stopped everything in the area for about a week. Then I had to put up with the VA bureaucracy, so I didn't start working until March. It was kind of nice to have a "break" after doing my intensive (360 clinical hours in 10 weeks in the ICU!), however I also went right back to school in January, so I didn't really take a break! That said, because I have been in school, except for summers I've only worked part time, which has meant I worked weekends eves/nocs to get the most of the pay differential. Now that I'm doing the Palliative Care Fellowship (also part-time), I have weekends free for the first time in years!

Polaris
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
I graduated in June of 1995, took my boards, and then took the entire summer off. I did one road trip after another and had the funnest summer of my life. It was my "last hurrah" before joining the working world.

I started on a med/surg floor in October. I've been steadily working ever since.

Jess
09-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow, it's great hearing about all your experiences! Thank you all, these posts have really opened my mind to what I can do after I finish school. Of course, everyone's life is different, but this thread is quite helpful.

Elocin22
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I took just under two months off. I had my job line up, just told them I wasn't starting until I was ready.

Also, Jess I would caution you to wait a full year to start working...it will look bad to your future boss(es). They will question why it took so long for you to start and also wonder about your clinical skills, knowledge, etc being current. That having been said, a year off is great. I've had two weeks off and I feel great (almost ready to go back!).

Jess
10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I took just under two months off. I had my job line up, just told them I wasn't starting until I was ready.

Also, Jess I would caution you to wait a full year to start working...it will look bad to your future boss(es). They will question why it took so long for you to start and also wonder about your clinical skills, knowledge, etc being current. That having been said, a year off is great. I've had two weeks off and I feel great (almost ready to go back!).

Dang, that does make sense Elocin22. I guess I won't take a full year off then, haha. I guess I didn't think about that because of the nursing shortage here in Canada...wouldn't the hospitals just be desperate to get/hire a new graduate nurse/RN and won't care too much about how long it took him/her to start working? :hmmmm:

Polaris
10-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Good point Elocin. Our hospital just hired someone new - they were choosing between 2 new grads - one recent, one who took the last 6 months off work. They hired the most recent grad. Don't know reasons, but interesting coincidence.

Jess
10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Wow, that's really something to think about. Darn, and I was hoping to take a couple of months off to really relax. ;) I guess I'll wait and see. Thanks for bringing that up Julie!

miss-elaine-ious
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Jess, as Canadian (from Ontario) looking for a job in the next 6 months or so, I can verify they are looking for a ton of nurses in the next few years, so I wouldn't worry about finding a job. That being said, some of the incentives they have (graduate guarantee, tuition payback programs) you will not qualify for if you take that much time off.

What I think it will depend on is 1) what area you want to work in post-grad, 2) do they accept new graduates, and 3) what productive activities did you do when you had time off (did you do some upgrades, courses like ACLS etc).

You may not get your PERFECT nursing job from the get-go, but any experience is better then nothing.

Good luck! :cheers:

Elaine

------------------
http://miss-elaine-ious.blogspot.com/

texasnurse07
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank God I had a job when I graduated. I started my new graduate internship in May, two weeks after I graduated. My advice would be to work for a year, get some experience, and then go on a vacation. Also, be sure to take your NCLEX before you take some time off so you can have it out of the way and go straight to work.