View Full Version : For emergencies...

jojodow
09-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Do you keep Emergency Nurse items in your car? Or with you at any time?

I always keep a couple sets of gloves, my stethescope, some basic first aid stuff like bandaids, alcohol wipes, gauze, tape and scissors in my trunk.

It's only come in handy one time....At a Girl Scout function when one of the girls scraped her leg pretty bad. Not bad enough for a doctor but it needed to be cleaned and covered.

I actually need to restock come to think of it.:questionmark:

Jess
09-22-2007, 12:11 AM
What an awesome idea! You never know when they'll come in handy. :) I don't have a car but I think I will definitely do that when I get a car and when I finish school and graduate. I have some alcohol swabs, bandaids and tape in my bag, but that's about it.

Nurse Stella
09-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Being a Home Health nurse, I have some of just about everything in my car! Sterile gauze, kerlix, duoderm, heck, I can even put a foley in or draw blood if I come across an accident!:laugh:

B.

jojodow
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Being a Home Health nurse, I have some of just about everything in my car! Sterile gauze, kerlix, duoderm, heck, I can even put a foley in or draw blood if I come across an accident!:laugh:

B.

Ohmygosh!

I'm just trying to picture an emergency at a Soccer Mom/Girl Scout event that might need a Foley! LOL :laugh:

Now at an AARP event, it might come in handy.

I've got to be careful what I keep in my car though. During Nursing school I kept my check off supplies in my trunk and the Texas heat warped my foley. Had to borrow someone else's for check off on the dummy. :hmpf:

Julie
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
When I was Stella's UK version of a home health nurse I too had a car full of potentially useful items. I used to empty everything out just before holiday times and even after I had finished doing that job, I kept coming across all kinds of useful equipment in various cupboards around the house!

P/J
09-25-2007, 01:10 AM
I have always carried a fairly large first aid kit in the hatch of my car. I am a trained rescue diver as well as a student nurse and have had to dig things out a number of times. Most useful are the instant ice packs.

MyOwnWoman
09-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Oh dear oh dear. The only thing I keep on my person is an face mask for doing CPR. If I'm lucky, I might have some gloves in the pocket of my uniform, but that's not always a for sure thing.

KimRN
09-30-2007, 11:25 AM

B.

LOL! I'm trying to picture a foley being inserted on the side of a freeway.

And how does a foley get "warped"?

The only emergency supplies I have in my car are my iPod cassette dock and a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi. There might be a few napkins from McDonalds on the floor should I need a dressing for something.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I keep a mask for CPR and some gloves in my trunk. All my other supplies are related to doing the death investigations, so not really usable on someone who is hurt - just someone who is dead.

Jess
09-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I keep a mask for CPR and some gloves in my trunk. All my other supplies are related to doing the death investigations, so not really usable on someone who is hurt - just someone who is dead.

That is so cool, I think forensics are super fascinating! :D I think if I ever get a car I would probably put the mask and some gloves, because hey, you never know what will happen.

jojodow
10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
LOL! I'm trying to picture a foley being inserted on the side of a freeway.

And how does a foley get "warped"?

The only emergency supplies I have in my car are my iPod cassette dock and a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi. There might be a few napkins from McDonalds on the floor should I need a dressing for something.

LOL It was when we were still in the 100s in September-October and the Latex catheter melted into the shape it was in...kind of a U shape.
Like check-off wasn't stressful enough back then....good thing I didn't even try it on the dummy! LOL

Elocin22
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Someone gave me a home emergency kit, like the ones they recommended after 9/11. I put all of the emergency supplies (gauze, band-aides, neosporin, kerlix, box of gloves, lg bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer, cotton balls, ace wraps, etc.) in a toolbox and stuck it in the back of my car. I've used in once, in my driveway, when a girl in the neighborhood fell on her bike and sliced her leg pretty good.

I also have a CPR mask that I got....I will post a new thread about CPR in the public when I get through all of these posts!