View Full Version : How long have you been a nurse?

Jess
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi all. As a nursing student, I was just wondering: how long have you been a nurse? What are your plans for the future as a nurse?

I'm asking this question just because I'm curious to know a little bit more about you all. :D

LittleBird
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, I have been a nurse for just about 3 months now. :) I just graduated in May, and started working in June. So far so good. And I'm always open to tips/suggestions from those with more experience than myself. :nurse:

Jess
09-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, that's very fast LittleBird! I'm thinking once I graduate I need at least a few months off, haha. I'm going to need a break from school since I've been at school since ECS to now! I think that's one of the reasons I didn't want to be a doctor...I'm getting quite sick of school, haha. ;) I mean, I know there are others out there that love school, but for me, I think 4 years of university is enough!

Julie
09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I thought the same kind of thing when I qualified Jess, but I have hardly had any time when I haven't been studying in some way or other for more than 25 years!!

I qualified in 1984, went straight into my first job and have had no more than about 8-9 months off (and that was to have my son)!

LittleBird
09-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow, that's very fast LittleBird! I'm thinking once I graduate I need at least a few months off, haha. I'm going to need a break from school since I've been at school since ECS to now! I think that's one of the reasons I didn't want to be a doctor...I'm getting quite sick of school, haha. ;) I mean, I know there are others out there that love school, but for me, I think 4 years of university is enough!

No time off for me... I need the money! :) I didn't tell ya that this was my second degree.... :loco:

MyOwnWoman
09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been a nurse since 1987. I've seen things come and I've seen things go. I've seen new nurses become fine nurses, and old nurses just run out of steam.

My plans? I love bedside nursing. I can't help it. I know it's the most strenuous but for me, it's the most gradifying.

jojodow
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
I graduated in May 2006, Licensed in June 2006.

I plan to stay where I'm at for the time being until my daughter gets old enough, then I'm thinking I'll go back to Hospital Nursing or Home Health.

We'll see.

bcp
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I may be an "oldie" here. ;)

I graduated from my ADN program in 1978.
I completed a certificate GNP program in 1988.
I completed my BSN in 1996.
I got a MN as a FNP in 1998.

I think I'm done...but I've said that before. Perhaps I'll go for that DNP - not sure yet.

KimRN
09-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I may be an "oldie" here. ;)

I graduated from my ADN program in 1978.
I completed a certificate GNP program in 1988.
I completed my BSN in 1996.
I got a MN as a FNP in 1998.

I think I'm done...but I've said that before. Perhaps I'll go for that DNP - not sure yet.

Move over, Grandma - I'm pulling up my rocking chair right along with ya!

I graduated in 1978 with an ADN. I am now going back for my BSN followed by a Masters so I can teach nursing and then a PhD so I can be poor and do research.

Then again, if I don't start doing better in statistics, I'll get my doctorate in English. I'm gonna have a PhD in something!

jojodow
09-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Move over, Grandma - I'm pulling up my rocking chair right along with ya!

I graduated in 1978 with an ADN. I am now going back for my BSN followed by a Masters so I can teach nursing and then a PhD so I can be poor and do research.

Then again, if I don't start doing better in statistics, I'll get my doctorate in English. I'm gonna have a PhD in something!

Statistics is one tough class!
Hope it gets better for ya

geenaRN
09-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Remember when I said that they had to drag me kicking and screaming through nursing research class?

Statistics was so bad that they just dragged my glazed-over lifeless body through it. How I passed that class I will NEVER know.

:boxing:

Nurse Ceejay
09-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I graduated in 1995 with a BSN, so I've been around over 10 years. I did 1 year in Psych, then started working in medicine/tele after that. Currently, I'm looking for a topic for my evidence-based project.

Marachne
09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Remember when I said that they had to drag me kicking and screaming through nursing research class?

Statistics was so bad that they just dragged my glazed-over lifeless body through it. How I passed that class I will NEVER know.
Inferential statistics are actually kind of fun -- and this is said by a math-adverse, qualitative researcher type.

What I like about inferential statistics was that I can now understand all those inscrutable tables in research articles -- and see if the text really matches the statistical results. It also helped a lot in learning more about the use of instruments (as in survey instruments, not clinical instruments) -- that old Chronbach's alpha ain't all it's cracked up to be!

As for my nursing history, I graduated from an accelerated BS program in 2003, almost immediately went to work in a VA LTC facility, mostly doing hospice and palliative care. I also, like some kind of fool returned to school and started my PhD program.

I'm now doing a palliative care fellowship at the VA on the acute care side, and starting dissertation work.

I love the clinical work, and the tricky thing for me (esp w/o an advanced clinical degree) will be how to juggle, once I'm done, research, teaching and still keeping my hand in clinically. Maybe on-call hospice will be the ticket.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 05:57 PM
12 years. 12 looooooooooong years. LOL

Jess
09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
I still have to take a statistics course Geena! Haha, I'm going to be having a fun year...nursing research...statistics...yay! ;) However, I think I am a math person and I love math (once I understand it of course!) I sometimes actually miss math! I get sick of writing essays on nursing, nursing theories and all that junk because I've just always disliked writing essays, haha.

Burnout Hag RN
10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
29 years....................too long

Mother Jones, RN
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey, Burnout Hag, RN, welcome to the forum. I think we have a lot in common. Keep coming back:p

PACNWNURSING
10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I am returning to nursing after being away for many years. :wave:

Julie
10-12-2007, 01:27 PM
What made you leave? And what made you want to return?

PACNWNURSING
10-12-2007, 02:01 PM
My wife was also a nurse, and our children were young and we working at two different facilities. I was working on obtaining my RN. Most RN jobs at that time were in the hospital working 5 days a week. Child care would have been too much of a challenge, so I decided to get a job where shift work, weekends and holidays would be an issue. I obtained a paralegal degree instead. I am returning to nursing because I really have a passion for people and I was quite bored working in the legal field. Sitting behind a desk all day became unbearable. There are also many more opportunities for nurses today, also male nurses are more accepted today.

jazain
10-26-2007, 11:26 PM
next summer will make 20 years for me. most days i like nursing but there are some days that if i knew of anything else to do for a living....well, i would hang up the stethoscope forever.

adriennezurub
10-27-2007, 12:13 AM
:party::party:
Over twenty-five years! And, I'm feeling every one of them!

Adrienne Zurub,Rn,CNOR
'cardiacbitch'...so what!
Author, 'Notes From the Mothership The Naked Invisibles'
actor/comedian/writer/pOet/speaker/
http://adriennezurub.typepad.com