View Full Version : New Grad, New License, New Nurse

neuronurse
09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Erin, I'm a new grad just starting on a Neuro ICU in a major hospital (with interns, med students, nursing students, pharmacy students...everything)
Tips always appreciated...

Jess
09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Hello Erin! :) Wow, that sounds terrific. Welcome to Nursing Voices! I'm Jess and I'm a second year nursing student. I hope to see you around posting lots and I hope to get to know a little bit more about you. Bye for now. ;)

geenaRN
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Welcome Erin :) Neuro is definitely not my strong suit. Do you get a lot of traumas or mostly strokes/tumors?

MyOwnWoman
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Welcome to Nursing Voices where not only can you speak your mind but also win Iphones from www.Nursingvoices.com and www.nursingjobs.org.

Now that plug being said. There are a few things to remember in Neuro intensive care. 1. Glascow Coma Scale: Just because they know who they are, where they are and what day it is, does not mean they are oriented. Talk to them, you may find that neuro patients can talk a good game. 2. Glascow Coma Scale: Just because they don't open their eyes, doesn't mean they can't.

Buttttttttt.... the most important thing to remember in the Neuro Intensive Care is that you ARE allowed to take a piece of candy from the desk!

Welcome Erin and good luck.

neuronurse
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Mostly strokes/tumors,subdural hematoma, we also take spinal patients C1-T4 depending on the patient, we'll occasionally have trauma, but not often

jojodow
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Erin!:wave:

I worked on a Med/surg (we did some Neuro..non critical) at a very similar type Hospital just out of school.

It's kind of fun working with the Baby Docs (as we affectionately called them) We got to do some training ourselves!

Hospitals with a lot of students has one bonus to it...students are serious about their work and extra hands!

Keep us posted!:cheers:

neuronurse
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't know about the med students being that serious. Just before rounds the other day my preceptor had a resident ask if my patient was on O2 She very kindly replied "Yeah, as a matter of fact she's on a ventilator and had a trach placed" Let's just say that was the high point of rounds, it all went downhill from there

KimRN
09-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Welcome to Nursing Voices where not only can you speak your mind but also win Iphones from www.Nursingvoices.com and www.nursingjobs.org.

Now that plug being said. There are a few things to remember in Neuro intensive care. 1. Glascow Coma Scale: Just because they know who they are, where they are and what day it is, does not mean they are oriented. Talk to them, you may find that neuro patients can talk a good game. 2. Glascow Coma Scale: Just because they don't open their eyes, doesn't mean they can't.

Buttttttttt.... the most important thing to remember in the Neuro Intensive Care is that you ARE allowed to take a piece of candy from the desk!

Welcome Erin and good luck.

So true, so true. You think they are oriented, and the are...to their own private world. Welcome, Erin!!!! :)

neuronurse
09-30-2007, 03:05 PM
So true, so true. You think they are oriented, and the are...to their own private world. Welcome, Erin!!!! :)

how true....I had a patient my first day who halfway through my shift I realized was reading the answers to "Can you tell me what day it is? Can you tell me where you are?" off of the white board that we post in patients rooms. The first time I stood in front of it and asked the questioned he said "Hey, can you move I'm trying to read the board." Hmm..a clue Sherlock!