View Full Version : What has been your favorite job?

Julie
09-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Mine was really when I was working as a District (Home Care) nurse. The best thing was that I worked in my home town and could be at my first patient's within a few minutes, I could spend time with my patients without interuption (no one just calling your name, peeping round the door, calling you on the phone). People got to die in their own beds, bath in their own baths and generally got to feel like they were in charge of their own lives!
:party::dancing2:

jojodow
09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
This is gonna sound crazy but I really did love my job at that crazy hospital. I miss working with patients more and getting my hands dirty and dealing with the really really sick.

I do love my job now too though! Maybe it's a tie. :dontknow:

I mean, how many Nurses can say they help people make babies for a living??

MyOwnWoman
09-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Julie~

Allowing people to live and die outside of the "temple" must be very satisfying. It would allow a closeness to patients that I would never dream of obtaining because I work in the sterile environment of the temple with rules and regulations.

For right now, I like the temple; but someday, maybe working outside of it would be nice.

KimRN
09-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Mine was really when I was working as a District (Home Care) nurse. The best thing was that I worked in my home town and could be at my first patient's within a few minutes, I could spend time with my patients without interuption (no one just calling your name, peeping round the door, calling you on the phone). People got to die in their own beds, bath in their own baths and generally got to feel like they were in charge of their own lives!
:party::dancing2:

If you work in the temple, I must work in the foyer! :) Actually, my favorite job was one where I did nothing for six out of eight hours in a stand by ER. I crocheted, made memory books and read while my cohort watched Jerry Springer at 0300! I got bored after awhile and went back to a "real" ER, but it was fun while it lasted!

geenaRN
09-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I mean, how many Nurses can say they help people make babies for a living??

GAH! You're killing me. I've been looking; none of the clinics around here are hiring!!! :aetsch:

jojodow
09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Geena,

If you ever relocate to my "Big City" in Texas, I'll hook ya up!

jojodow
09-30-2007, 02:53 PM
On that same note, My Doctor told me last week that she intends to eventually teach me to do IUIs (IntraUterine Inseminations).
Yeah, Nurses can do that!
This is becoming my favorite job.;)

Nurse Stella
09-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Although I'm thoroughly enjoying home health and hospice, my very favorite position was on a locked child/adolescent psych unit. Yeah, it had some horrible moments,:boxing: but also some of the most rewarding moments of my career. :dancing:

B.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
My current job(s) are my favorite - working in the ER and working for the Medical Examiner. Love them both.

geenaRN
09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
OOOOO! You are going to have to tell us what working for the Medical Examiner is like! :idea:

PACNWNURSING
10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
The Emergency Room was my favorite, there was never a dull moment.

Jess
10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
The Emergency Room was my favorite, there was never a dull moment.

I shadowed a nurse in the ER and she said the same thing. She was actually going to stop nursing because she found it so boring but then she decided to go to the ER. I'm not too sure if the ER is the place for me, but I have plenty of time to figure it out. ;)

miss-elaine-ious
10-15-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm hoping I'll like the ER! Still a student, and have yet to find my niche.

Elaine

_________
Read my blog!

http://miss-elaine-ious.blogspot.com/

Jess
10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm hoping I'll like the ER! Still a student, and have yet to find my niche.[/url]

Me too! I think I'll definitely hop around here and there before I settle down, there's so many areas to go in to!

adriennezurub
11-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I have to say being on the open heart/heart transplant team at CCF. Although, I hate the pay, the politics, the demeaning, the lack of professional empowerment, the insults, and management, (geez, this isn't looking good)
I LOVE the pace, the high tech, and the actual surgical procedures are awesome. It also helps that I am very good, hell, I'm GREAT at what I do!(Hence, the cardiacbitch)
I love scrubbing cases, especially emergencies when they come crashing through the door and every movement, every step has to the right one to save a patients life!
I love cardiac surgery! :dancing2:

drienne Zurub,RN,CNOR
'cardiacbitch'...so what!
Author
'Notes From the Mothership The Naked Invisibles'
(the book that the CEO of Cleveland Clinic will not want U to buy)
http://adriennezurub.typepad.com