View Full Version : Er Rn

Polaris
09-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey all -

My name is Julie and I found this forum through someone's blog (don't remember who - sorry). I am an emergency department RN. My nursing background has covered just about every other area though - med/surg, tele, CCU, ICU, Peds, Ortho, Neuro, Clinic, Midwifery, L&D. I guess it took me going through every other area to find the one that fit. Now I'm in heaven and I adore my job.

I also am a forensic nurse and work with the medical examiner's office doing death investigations. I work part time with them but am pretty much always on call if I am in town and available. It's a great job.

OK, on to the personal stuff. Married, 2 kiddos, 2 horses, living in the country but obsessively missing the city. I have a WICKED sense of humor and love to laugh. I'm a bit crazy, but it's all fun and games. I adore practical jokes and tend to plan some great ones at work.

Oh - I also blog. http://errn.blogspot.com/. I took the summer off as we were moving into a new hospital, but I'm back on board and planning on being a more committed blogger. Be careful reading my blog though - I tend to use exact quotes (including cuss words) and have a smart alec way of writing some things. So if you are easily offended, you may not want to read it.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Sheesh - I practically wrote a novel for my intro post. I promise I'm not usually so wordy. Well, sometimes................ :pcguru:

neuronurse
09-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Hello and welcome! That's some background you have there. Do you do SANE nursing too or just the death investigations? I always thought foresics sounded cool but I've never actually run into a forensic nurse. It must be helpful to have worked in nearly every field though before you ended up in forensics/ER, you've specialized in just about everying...

Polaris
09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
It has helped to do multiple things. The problem is though - I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. I can function very well in pretty much any department, but I'll never be that "super nurse" that knows their area inside out and backwards.

I do also do SANE nursing though I don't enjoy that nearly as much. I transitioned into DI pretty quickly after getting my forensic training.

geenaRN
09-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Julie! Welcome! I can already tell you're going to be an interesting one to read :eating:

Jess
09-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Wow! Hi Julie! Welcome to Nursing Voices! :) What exactly does a forensics nurse do? Can any nurse be a forensics nurse? I find forensics very neat and I'm quite interested in it, but I'll probably still end up working in the hospital in the future (nursing shortage, can work right away, etc.).

Julie
10-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Welcome to Nursing voices Julie, great to see some one with so many different experiences here. Looking forward to finding out more!

jojodow
10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Welcome Polaris!

Like Geena covets my Fertility nursing.... I covet your forensic Nursing. I would seriously consider that field in the future. It's so interesting to me!

Lookin forward to reading more!

miss-elaine-ious
10-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Hello!

I want to say that I have been following your blog for months now and I really enjoy what you write! (yes, yes I'm a bit of a lurker and don't post comments!)

I love your tips on qualities required for an ER nurse! Keep the posts coming!

(if you want, feel free to lurk me at http://miss-elaine-ious.blogspot.com/

MyOwnWoman
10-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Hello Polaris. Welcome to Nursing Voices.

Polaris
10-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Miss Elaine -

I will check out your blog and link you!

miss-elaine-ious
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
It wont compare to yours but I'm glad you've decided to take a look!:cheers:

Elaine
_______
http://miss-elaine-ious.blogspot.com/

rouffelle
11-16-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm Gerald , can you be my friend and guide to this field. I AM A STUDENT OF NURSING AND I FIND SOME DIFFICULTIES IN MY SUBJECT HUMAN ANATOMY CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE TO HAVE A HIGH GRADES. :captain:

Julie
11-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Gerald, welcome to Nursing Voices. Its great to have another nursing student in our midst. We can't guarantee to help with your grades but if you ask the right questions who knows what wonderful answers you will get? :D

geenaRN
11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm Gerald , can you be my friend and guide to this field. I AM A STUDENT OF NURSING AND I FIND SOME DIFFICULTIES IN MY SUBJECT HUMAN ANATOMY CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE TO HAVE A HIGH GRADES. :captain:

Study.

Study groups? Sometimes it really helps to study with others because they may have ways of remembering things that you haven't thought of.

Flash cards were always a huge help to me. Yes, even in college. Not only do you learn by going through them, you really cement it in by reading the info and writing it on the cards.

Good luck!

:D

KimRN
11-22-2007, 02:19 AM
I was never one for group studying, but it helps if you are learning the physiology as you are learning the anatomy. Otherwise, I found plain anatomy to be rote memorization. Physiology helps you remember what works with what and makes anatomy a lot easier!

And welcome to Nursing Voices - I'm getting caught up on all the new folks tonight!

LesleyJoy
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Julie,

I have just read your blog post (Sunday, November 04, 2007,
Face Up, Flat On My Back) and can't thank you enough! If a merry heart is good medicine, you have cured what ailed me! I laughed until I wheezed and then laughed some more so closely did I identify with this post.

Thanks !!

Joy

KimRN
01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Julie,

I have just read your blog post (Sunday, November 04, 2007,
Face Up, Flat On My Back) and can't thank you enough! If a merry heart is good medicine, you have cured what ailed me! I laughed until I wheezed and then laughed some more so closely did I identify with this post.

Thanks !!

Joy

Quick!!! Albuterol via nebulizer for Joy, STAT! :nurse:

And I have to go read that post......:secret:

Julie
01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
There's me thinking I had written something funny, but no it's the other Julie! Just read it and you are right LesleyJoy!

:motz::motz:

Polaris
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks ladies! Just saw the last few posts. Don't know where I've been that I missed these.

Glad you enjoyed the post. It was such an embarrassing moment, but it made me laugh too. I still giggle about it!