View Full Version : Show of Force (Polaris, I'm lookin at you)

geenaRN
09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
In the code white thread, Polaris referred to code white at her hospital as

A code white at our facility is when a doc is being unprofessional/rude/abusive/etc to a nurse. They call a code white and the rest of the staff come stand behind their back to support them and have the doc back down.

We don't have a specific code for that at our hospital, but we call it "Show of force" and it's the same idea.

I have NEVER seen it used, nor have I really been in the situation to use it.

I'm interested in hearing from those who HAVE used something similar and what the outcome was.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
We used it once on a locum ER doc. He was berating a nurse in front of a patient and being generally rude and obnoxious about it. Another nurse called a Code White and aobut 3 other nurses showed up behind the original nurse. One of the nurses said "It is not OK to speak to her like that". He immediately backed down and later apologized.

We don't use it very often (I can only think of twice in the last 4 years), but it is very effective. We are a smaller rural/frontier hospital though, so the relationship between coworkers tends to be very intimate (in the non sexual meaning). I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I think back on when I worked at one of the trauma centers in POrtland and I'm not sure if it would have had the same results there.

Jess
09-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Wow, that is very interesting. This is what I just pictured in my head:

A doctor and a nurse...code is called...a lot of nurses magically appear behind the nurse and the room gets all dark.

I think all hospitals are different, but do I think this code is helpful? I'm not really sure...it really depends on the situation and from what Julie has said, it could be very effective when it is used.

jojodow
10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I wish we had that at the Hospital a couple times. Although if it happened within ear shot of another Nurse, most of us would back each other up. Especially it it was in Earshot of patients.

I don't care what the nurse did...It is always NOT OK to be yelled at in front of patient.:darth:

geenaRN
10-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Too bad there isn't a phone version, eh?

:hmpf:

KimRN
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Too bad there isn't a phone version, eh?

:hmpf:

Why, Geena, would that be an iPhone version? :whistle:

geenaRN
10-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I am SO trying to think of a topic to write a story for Medgadget's competition :creep:

Polaris
10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
What competition?

geenaRN
10-03-2007, 02:03 AM
They're accepting submissions for a science fiction/medical story. The winner gets an iPhone.