View Full Version : Union Hospitals........

Polaris
10-01-2007, 12:47 AM
How many of you work or have worked in a union facility before? I am currently in one and I'm not sure I really like it.

I believe that unions hold a purpose sometimes, but I also believe they can really tie a nursing staff down and hinder their progress in becoming a solid team with management. It would be interesting to find out the ratio of Magnet hospitals that are union hospitals. It seems to me in my experience, the more satisfied the staff are and the more they feel they have a say in the running of the health care system - the less they feel they need the protection of a union.

What are your experiences?

jojodow
10-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm clueless here. We have very few unions to speak of in Texas. I think the only professions that belong to unions are Police and FireFighters....and I don't think they hold the same power as Unions in other states do.

I'd be interested in hearing more. I've heard Kim post about them and they seem like they have the workers at heart.

MyOwnWoman
10-03-2007, 10:56 AM
You know, I wrote and wrote, and wrote about union vs non union facilities and I erased each post.

The only thing I can say is this: Nurses have got to unite, whether it be a union or not and say...."Enough is enough." We need to be the ones to say..."our patients come first." We can't let management hold that comment over our head and make us feel bad if we have to fight for something that we need.

Sometimes "making our patients come first" means we have to be strong enough to say............YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM, YOU WALK IN MY SHOES.

Let them put their license on the line. Let them see first hand what we have to deal with every day. Maybe, just maybe, "union" wouldn't have to be used as much.

Oh Lord, did any of that make sense?

PACNWNURSING
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I was just hired by a uninonized hospital, I start Monday. The positive that I have already experienced, is related to salary. They gave me a chart showing exactly what my raise would be every year for the next 4 years, that does not include a cost of living raise which is also given every year.