View Full Version : Stem Cell Research

MyOwnWoman
10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
First, let me apologize if I offend anyone but there is something I just have to get off of my chest.

For such a long time I've been complaining about the fact that we have not moved along with stem cell research. I have listened to the argument that embryonic cell research is just wrong because it may become human life one day; but each day we throw millions of those embryonic cells away. People are right, those cells could one day give life. They could give life to a child with diabetes, or an adult with ALS, or a person who has been paralyzed by a spinal cord injury.

I've probably made a fool of myself, but I've written a letter to the Michael J. Fox organization, who supports stem cell research, to ask for help forming a March on Washington to let President Bush see that a multitude of Americans feel that stem cell research is the morally right thing to do. We need to take a stand. We need to make noise.

In the big picture, I am a "nobody," that is why I asked a "somebody" to help. He has more resourses and influencial friends than I can possibly hope to have. I would love to see a day when a multitude of people stood on the steps of the White House telling President Bush that we want to advance, we want to move ahead with stem cell research. I would love to listen to him being told that medication for Parkinson's, ALS, Diabetes, etc is a relief not a cure.

I have a 16 year old niece with diabetes. She and I went on the walk for ALS. In her innocence she looked over the crowd and said, "if they would only let us move ahead with stem cell research all these people wouldn't have to cry." At 16, she worries more about her diabetes and her long term life span than a prom date.

Cures.......in our lifetime.......I want to see it. Don't you?

jojodow
10-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I completely agree with you.

I think the whole argument against it is centered around laziness. The people against Stem Cell research aren't being educated about the procedures in procuring the stem cells. Most of the time (In countries where they do it) they are taken from embryos and zygotes that are already being tossed out. They were never going to be a fetus to begin with! I don't think the people who vote against that know that.

There needs to be guidelines written to allow it to be correctly, within time limits, and I don't think anyone wants to write them. It's close-mindedness at it's best.

We allow abortions in this country but not this?! Crazy.

Good Post!

Marachne
10-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I don't think it's about laziness as much as it is about pushing a specific political agenda. The far-right/evangelical right has got a lot of mileage out of the whole "right to life" rant (excuse me if I'm offending anyone, but I calls it as I sees it). If they are going to claim that life begins at conception, then they almost haveto be against stem cell research. Of course, it seems they don't care a fig about these kids after they're born, but that's another rant for another day.

Anyway, it seems the only way the demagogues change their tune is when it hits home (i.e. Nancy Regan supporting stem cell research because of Ron's Alzheimers and it being one of the conditions that is thought to be helped by SCR.

As for allowing abortions -- this right is getting more and more restricted. If it gets much worse, I'll be interested to hear from ED nurses about experiences with illegal abortions gone bad.

Again, another topic, but I guess you just hit a few of my hot buttons

geenaRN
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Now here's a funny thing: Did anyone know that the MMR vaccine was made by growing the antigen in a culture of fetal cells taken from an aborted fetus?

Yet the CDC and government apparently has no problem pushing that everyone be vaccinated.

I wonder how many people know about THAT.

MyOwnWoman
10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Geena, I didn't know that. Thanks for that little bit of info. I will certainly make sure others know it in the future, especially if they are anti stem cell research.

P/J
10-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Geena, I didn't know that. Thanks for that little bit of info. I will certainly make sure others know it in the future, especially if they are anti stem cell research.

Tell them after the immunization, its like telling vegetarians that they just eat chicken. It's like what Monty Python said "every sperm (embryo) is sacred, every sperm (embryo)is great, if a sperm (embryo) gets waisted, God gets quite irate." So lets use them for research!

Mrs.Rollins
11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't think it's about laziness as much as it is about pushing a specific political agenda. The far-right/evangelical right has got a lot of mileage out of the whole "right to life" rant (excuse me if I'm offending anyone, but I calls it as I sees it). If they are going to claim that life begins at conception, then they almost haveto be against stem cell research. Of course, it seems they don't care a fig about these kids after they're born, but that's another rant for another day.

Anyway, it seems the only way the demagogues change their tune is when it hits home (i.e. Nancy Regan supporting stem cell research because of Ron's Alzheimers and it being one of the conditions that is thought to be helped by SCR.

As for allowing abortions -- this right is getting more and more restricted. If it gets much worse, I'll be interested to hear from ED nurses about experiences with illegal abortions gone bad.

Again, another topic, but I guess you just hit a few of my hot buttons

You = my hero.

Jasonrn
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I realize this is an old thread but I think its important to maybe revive it for a time.

I really struggled with the stem cell debate issue. Not because I questioned the validity of the research but because science having an unquestionable questionable ethical history. Yes, most of the stem cell research being done comes from emreos that will never see development into a fetus. However we as professionals have to be perceived as always have the patients best interest in mind. Organ doner is always a hot topic amongst the non-medical. I can't tell you how many lay people believe that the nurses (!) actually get a kick back.

Recent developments are hopefully making this a thing of the past. The ability to remove stem cells without destroying the embryo and converting adult cells into generic stem-cells open up huge posibilities.

Like any new technology, stem cells have enormous potential for good. it's important that we set a clear and well define ethical standard from the get go. When antibiotics first came out they saved millions of lives. In the end however we ended up removing many of them because of unforeseen consequences. I think that while stem cell is the wave of the future we will likely see equally if not worse side effects. Even with a wide open door to stem cell research I think that many of these diseases would not see a complete cure rate. (Otherwise wouldn't there be solutions coming out of INdia and CHina?). The results will be most likely be a mixed blessing like many of our other genetic treatments. You cure an uglier disease and leave in its place a more manageable one.

I'm so glad folks are talking about this. Stem cell research is so important and I feel like the sides have been nasty and unpleasent.