View Full Version : Nursing Working Environment

PACNWNURSING
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I recently watch a video interview online related to the nursing shortage.

I statistic revealed that 50% of nurse graduates have left their first jobs within 18 months. Of course most of those positions were in hospitals. That is a staggering statistic. The spoke about many different issues including nurse residency programs which I support, to physician abuse.

Here is a link to the interview.

http://www.scribemedia.org/shows/nim/

Jess
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
That really is a crazy statistic, but I kind of already guessed it would be a high percentage. There could be many reasons why graduate nurses do leave, but wow. Thanks for sharing the link to the interview.

jojodow
10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I think most nurses have to find thier happy place in nursing. Some really love one field over another and you just don't get enough work in during school clinicals to decide. So it's a crapshoot at graduation and you head toward a place where you think you might love and it turns out to be nothing like you imagined.

I'm happy for the moment with clinic nursing but acute care is where I'd rather be and will be again someday.

Polaris
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I often wonder if unrealistic expectations contribute to the nursing issues we face today. The generation coming out of nursing schools currently has such a different view on work ethics, work hours, obligations, sense of entitlement, etc. It is extremely frustrating for the hospital staff so I imagine that, in turn, is expressed to the new hire/new grad through subtle and not so subtle communication methods.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, just so much different. And I'm not that far behind them - or so I pretend so that I don't feel old.

It is sad that nursing has such a high early turnaround. I'm not sure what to do about it though. We work in a career that has 24 hr work hours, high stress environment, etc. A career in which one decision you make could change someone's life forever. Do nursing schools even talk about this anymore? Our new grads within the last year say they had no idea what real nursing would be like until they started working.

Scary thought.