View Full Version : Life?

LittleBird
10-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I am curious to find out how others who are working shift work manage to have a normal life, as well as work. I am currently doing a 2 day, 2 night rotation with 4 or 5 days off in between. This means that I never work the same day two weeks in a row.

I had wanted to sign up for a yoga class or some other type of hobby this fall, but my schedule doesn't seem to work for that kind of thing. I just graduated in May and am now kind of in a bit of a weird spot... once I am done work, I am done. No homework or anything like that. I need to find some hobbies, but it is easier said than done.

Also, it is kind of weird having my weekends during the week... when everyone else is working. I'll admit that I am fairly new to the city where I am now, and am finding my life outside of work is lacking.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how they transitioned from school to work-world?

Mother Jones, RN
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
It's hard having a normal life when you are a nurse. I did two things that helped me when I was going to school. First, I told my boss that I was taking classes, and she tried to work around the days that I went to class. I also let my teachers know about my crazy work life. They helped me by letting me attend any other class that they were teaching during the day. If I worked days, I went to the evening yoga class, and if I got pulled to evening, I attended the morning class. Everything worked out.

Good luck. :pepsi: