View Full Version : Indispensable Nurse Qualities

KimRN
06-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi guys!

I just posted this question on my blog, but I'd like to get some feedback here...

What traits do you consider indispensable to nursing?

geenaRN
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Flexibility.

That's just one, of course :)

geenaRN
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Oops! I hadn't read your post yet. Well, great minds... :-)

So... I'll add sense of humor. *I* personally think it's indispensable. I think without a sense of humor one would end up in Burn-Out Alley fairly quickly.

I mean really. When one sees liquid poo dripping off the end of the bed, what else can you do but see the humor in that? Poo. Dripping off the end of the bed. What's the point in throwing a tantrum about it? :)

Marachne
06-26-2007, 07:59 PM
From my (hospice) perspective, I think an ability to handle ambiguity is an important piece...I know it is in other areas too, but I know it's key for EOL.

NurseSean
06-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Darnit! I was going to say "sense of humor" :)

I will add, the ability to stay calm and relaxed, even when everything that can go wrong IS going wrong. I think too many nurses chanel their stress into anger and panic, rather than learning strategies to stay cool.

Sean

Mother Jones, RN
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Nurses must be tough as nails, have a sense of humor, and caring spirit.

Nurses Self Care
06-30-2007, 05:24 AM
The ability to care for ourselves first rather than running on empty - and yes absolutly a sense of humor

PICURN
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
The ability to suspend judgment is very important. Especially when you work with a population who does things you think are wrong, or you on gut instinct want to judge.

I always have to remind myself that they have a different life than I do and it is not my job to judge, but rather deliver my best care.

Julie
07-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Have to agree with that one. It is one of the hardest things to listen to and see how others live their lives without giving away what you really think about it.

Marachne
07-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Hard, but crucial. For one thing, we almost never have the whole picture. Without knowing context, judging on what is in front of you is often to jump to wrong conclusions. I used to work w/people with HIV/AIDS now I work with Vets. These are often folks w/a lot of problems and issues (dual & triple diagnosis), but that's why we're here, right?

It gets very interesting at EOL when you also get all the family dynamics and drama

kate loving shenk
07-07-2007, 07:48 PM
hello all--

great thread!!

1) the ability to NOT take anything personally

2) the ability to take care and heal and yes!! love yourself!!

3) the ability to heal your perceptions of an event that appears to be upsetting, and get an attitude of gratitude for everything--yes! everything that comes your way

4) the ability to love your patients unconditionally (ya gotta love yourself, first!!)

5) and to develop a natural curiosity about what makes a person tick!!

Nurse Stella
07-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Can we add a bladder of steel? :rolleyes:

B.

MyOwnWoman
07-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Can't think of a thing to add.........except maybe we should try to be more accepting of newer nurses. I've heard it said before, "nursing is the only profession that eats it's young."

It would be nice if we would take them under our wing more often and teach them to fly.

orchidea
07-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Hi you all, I come from Italy and I'm really happy to meet you.. I love to be a nurse, but sometimes I hate it when I notice there is no linkage among us. There are really a lot of differences among nurses'education and I can't see this in other professions. In my country we are often considered a sort of workforce without social recognition instead of the hard commitment

Carol Walters
07-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Yes, I agree that nurses need to be heard and that nurses do need a voice in which people need to hear and respond to as well. The more that nurses are in community with other nurses, the better their overall work performance is and they seem to be happier as well. I know for a fact that I am much happier when I can confide with many nurses about certain things; especially when it comes to patients. Here is a website that is good to think and ponder about:

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/acls-online-library-nurse-training.html

Thank you.

Carol Walters
08-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Thank you for having such a wonderful forum post. I think that these are good nursing qualities that nursing students should have:

1. A good listener
2. A good helper
3. A team player
4. A good flexible person
5. A nurse that understands concepts
6. Someone that relates to people.

Here is something to read about nursing and it has to do with nursing first aid:

https://www.acls.net/first-aid-situations.htm

Carol Walters
09-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Nurses should be tough in that they should show that they can do anything that the charge nurse asks them to do, face, and accept some difficult challenges. They should however be nice to everyone by treating all patients with respect, listen to the patient, show sympathy, show empathy, and understand the patients care plan thoroughly. Nursing is a lot like being a teacher in that you have to have the same characters: be tough, but respectful and kind at the same time. Nurses need to have a good lifestyle where they are eating right things and sleeping well too. Here is a good article about that:

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/acls-online-library-online-guide-to-living-longer.html

Carol Walters
10-21-2016, 11:30 AM
I had one time a very tough nurse that really made me feel like she did not care at all for me when I needed her most, but then she whispered in my ear and said, "I care for your health and well-being. So, that helped me to feel better. Sometimes, nurses have to show that they are tough, but they are so gentle and kind when you least expect it.

Carol Walters
11-21-2016, 05:45 PM
I believe that nurses have to have these qualities:

1. Nurses have to be really good listeners.
2. Nurses have to be loyal to their job.
3. Nurses should be encouraging to their patients.
4. They could also be good story tellers for the pediatric patients and have puppet shows for them.

Carol Walters
12-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Nursing qualities that a nurse should have are the following:

1. A nurse should be patient.
2. A nurse should be kind.
3. A nurse should be gentle.
4. A nurse should be humble.
5. A nurse should take care of others before themselves.

Carol Walters
01-18-2017, 11:15 AM
The nursing qualities that I think a nurse should have are the following:

1. They should be patient.

2. They should be kind.

3. They should have reassurance.

4. They should be humble, but also take good care of themselves.

Carol Walters
02-22-2017, 02:51 PM
I think that the nursing traits that are important to have are the following:

1. Always be a great listener.

2. Always be a great communicator.

3. Always be a nice person.

4. Always be likable and approachable.