View Full Version : Done like a dog's dinner

Mr Ian
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
When is the time to quit and move on?

I'm asking because,, I'm in one of those clinical supervisory roles where you're supposed to understand the issues of management while sorting out the problems of your supervisees.
Right now, however, and despite a lot of good work from all areas, I'm finding myself more and more frustrated by the lack of progress in areas important to me. So;
a) do I stick around, there's some good plans afoot and things can only get better?
vs
b) stuff it all, cos it's taking so long and meanwhile I'm just getting frustrated at everyone above me telling me "ah just keep hanging in there; we're getting there".

But when???

I'm getting to the point that I find myself raising questions that get very short answers and usually very politically incorrect ones. I've worked thru a lot of change where I am now and, as much as I don't like to think of myself as a quitter, the cogs are starting to jam.

So, my learned colleagues, when did you reach break point, call it quits and how?

geenaRN
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
When you feel like you need to take an Ativan or a swig of Pepto Bismol before you go to work, it's probably time to leave.

Seriously though - you could mentally give yourself 6 more months, and if things haven't improved at all in that time, give yourself permission to move on.

Would you consider yourself a quitter if you stayed on a sinking ship? It sounds like you've given it a good try already and have tolerated a lot. My personal definition of a quitter is one that doesn't even try to stick it out when the going gets tough. But if the going has been tough for a long time with little reassurance of relief, then I think it's well within one's best interest to find a job elsewhere.

Mother Jones, RN
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Thatís a really hard question to answer, but since you raised the question, I think that means that you are approaching your breaking point. Here are some warning signs that indicate that you need a new job:

You canít sleep at night because you are thinking about work.
You have trouble concentrating, and you find yourself becoming depressed.
You start having health issues related to stress.
You are no longer enjoying life.

Run, donít walk, to the nearest exit, and start looking for a new job if you are having any of these warning signs.

Good luck!

MJ :pepsi:

starkissed
12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Very sound advice from the above posters :)

Although change is often met with much resistance, is it worth it to you and your career to stick it out? It is understandable that frustration just eats you up inside and out... especially when you have become emotionally invested in the place you are. So maybe you already have the answer and just need to affirm that your choice is indeed wise. I say follow your gut instincts. You are your own first priority, no matter what career path that you are in.

Have a look around, see what options are open for you. You may just find that one place you just fit in. Good Luck!

Nurse Stella
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I agree with everyone else. The final thing that made me realize it was time to move on was the knot in the stomach I woke up with, and stayed with me until I ended my day and was driving home. It sounds like you are ready for a change. If it's your choice, do it before you burn out on nursing all together- not just the job your in.

Good luck,
B.

klq727
12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
First be sure that there's nothing that you can do to help speed things along.... some people are just no good at implementing things they can't get it started and seem to want to wait for a crisis to force something to be done... or just don't understand how to do it and think some magic fairies will come along in the middle of the night and get things going......and if you have ideas to share to get things rolling faster perhaps that would help. Even if you step on toes here at least something would get going (and what do you have to lose if it doesn't work) OR....

you know that nothing is really going to happen for a long time and if you're not willing to wait it out and limp along then yes, it's time to take your energy and enthusiasm someplace wher it is appreciated and you can be of help.

You have to do what's best for you, and if you're not happy then it's time to move on.

P/J
12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
When or If you decided to go. Don't look back. I was reading an article the other day about people who say they are leaving a company and they get offered a pay rise/new position but in most cases this didn't solve the problem why they were leaving, they were given less opportunities when they stayed as the company considered that they might leave again.

When you decided to leave, write down the reason to take into the exit interview. Also write down the good points of the position but also the factors which made you decided to leave. Keep it professional, but keep it honest. I left my first job for work place harassment, I did nothing about it, 6 months latter 3 other people had left because of the same person. If only I had spoken up.:confused:

DisappearingJohn
12-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I find myself in a similar situation, (except for the supervisory part)

I love the hospital I work at, but we have gone through some major changes, and the stress levels are really high. I keep waiting for them to get better, but it is happening slowly. The problem is that the stress is getting to everyone, and personalities and tempers are flaring, making work a not so fun place to be...

For me, its not at the breaking point yet; although it sounds like it might be a lot closer for you.

My theory is, when I find myself debating calling in because I just don't feel like going in, it might be time to start looking...