View Full Version : Emergency Nurses... advice please?

miss-elaine-ious
12-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Hello!

Well I've been assigned to a 4 month, 450 hour placement in the Emergency Department as a student nurse, and I was wondering if any of you ED nurses have any tips?

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope to get a job in the ED once I'm done nursing school in April.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Elaine

Polaris
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Observe, observe, observe! Anything you can get in on - do so. Be willing to try any procedure they will let you. Pay attention to how the nurses triage the patients - how they determine who they will see first. Pick their brains for their critical thinking pathways. Pay attention to who the nurses pay attention to - meaning, watch their cues. Why are they really paying more attention to the 50 y/o male who is pale, diaphoretic, and hypotensive over the female with acute abdominal pain.

Ask lots of questions, but pay attention to the answers.

Have I said "pay attention" enough? It's the key to success in the ER.

Good luck and have fun!

MyOwnWoman
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, what Polaris said. One more bit of advice. Pay attention!

DisappearingJohn
12-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I guess they killed the "pay attention" point...

Have fun, and ask questions!

I also second the "be willing to get into anything they will let you" thing...

I did my "preceptorship" in an ED, and enjoyed it so much, and made so many contacts, that I was hired there 4 months after graduating. It was the best move of my life...

mousie
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
My advice to you would be to stick like glue to your mentor. Be two feet behind them at all times, because if something "interesting" happens, they won't have time to go looking for you. They'll let you know if they're going to the toilet, otherwise, stay right there!

Be enthusiastic, ask lots of questions, get involved and read up a little about what you've seen. We all love teaching someone who wants to learn and you'll get out of it double what you put in.

Good luck!

KimRN
12-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Hello!

Well I've been assigned to a 4 month, 450 hour placement in the Emergency Department as a student nurse, and I was wondering if any of you ED nurses have any tips?

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope to get a job in the ED once I'm done nursing school in April.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Elaine

Do NOT be shy! Interact with the patients, ask them questions, talk to them - 90% of the information you receive will come from the patients.

Don't stand in the back when the action is going on. Tell your preceptor that you want to DO when the action hits the fan and ask what role they want you to play. I was once told in the beginning of my career, if you can't do anything, you can always document what is being done.

Do every single tube insertion you can get your hands on. NG, Foley, IV - there is no time for hesitation with these things so make sure you become comfortable with them.

Do not be afraid to ask questions of the doctors, the nurses, the respiratory therapists, the ER technicians.

If there are no patients in the department, go around and look at whatever you can find. Play with the laryngoscopes. Get the feel of the monitors. Play with them. Same with infusion pumps.
Look up the last disease a patient had but you did not know what it was.

Bring food to share. Let it be known you are a worker and not a blushing flower on the sidelines. Someone needs help with an incontinent patient? You are there. Someone hanging blood? You are there.

Be hands on as often and as long as possible.

In ER, you learn as you DO!

Good luck and congrats!! :beer: