View Full Version : Welcome to All Med/Surg Nurses!

Nps Save Lives
06-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Hello to all! I am actually a new FNP but have worked the entire time on a Med/Surg floor. I would have never guessed that I would have been there as long as I did but I got comfortable. I don't like the extremes of ICU or ER. Sorry to the nurses from that arena! I really admire your courage. I have had the pleasure of taking care of several patients that I've come to know quite well. It's been hard to see some of them pass on as well. Let us know your stories!:)

KimRN
07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
My respect goes out to the med/surg nurses - the hardest working nurses on the planet. I did it for exactly three months before I hauled my derriere into a coronary care unit!

Christopher Dallman
07-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I suppose this is the place I belong, because I work in a ward which is both surgical and medical. We have plenty of patients going for eye operations, but we also have patients with corneal ulcers and inflammatory diseases which require only medical management.

KimRN
07-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey Christopher, those eyes are attached to patients with other medical problems so I'd consider you a med/surg nurse! : )

starkissed
09-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Hello to all, I am new to the site and also new to being a nurse (3 months since I passed boards!). I currently work in medical/telemetry, so I figured this was the best place to make an introduction.

In the unit where I work, we have a high turnover rate on patients, mostly due to the telemetry phase of it. So we get to see a multitude of problems, stable or otherwise. My goal is to work in ICU, where I externed for almost a year. (My nursing manager doesn't hire new grads to ICU, we have to learn time management and get our skills down out on the floor first.)Anyhow, I am looking forward to getting to know people in here and sharing information and stories.

jojodow
09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Hello to all, I am new to the site and also new to being a nurse (3 months since I passed boards!). I currently work in medical/telemetry, so I figured this was the best place to make an introduction.

In the unit where I work, we have a high turnover rate on patients, mostly due to the telemetry phase of it. So we get to see a multitude of problems, stable or otherwise. My goal is to work in ICU, where I externed for almost a year. (My nursing manager doesn't hire new grads to ICU, we have to learn time management and get our skills down out on the floor first.)Anyhow, I am looking forward to getting to know people in here and sharing information and stories.

Welcome!
I just left a similar unit at the hospital to work for a Doctor's office.
Tough biz!

Jess
09-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Hi starkissed! Welcome to Nursing Voices and I definitely hope to see you around in here. :)

KMRN853
12-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Hello all! New to the boards and fairly new to nursing. It's been 6 months since I passed the NCLEX and began RN'ing on a Med-Surg/Oncology unit (yes, I chose to work on a Med-Surg unit as a new grad! :eek:) and I truly feel that Med-Surg nursing is and should be recognized as a specialized area.

geenaRN
12-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Welcome KMRN! Nothing wrong with choosing to work med/surg :-)

MyOwnWoman
12-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Welcome to all the new nurses. Oh, and about med surg nurses.......you learn the BEST assessment skills on the med surg floors because you don't have all the monitors and gagets to let you know when something is wrong.

The best decision a new nurse can make is to work on a med surg floor first.

KimRN
12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Welcome to all the new nurses. Oh, and about med surg nurses.......you learn the BEST assessment skills on the med surg floors because you don't have all the monitors and gagets to let you know when something is wrong.

The best decision a new nurse can make is to work on a med surg floor first.

I agree! I never thought about the lack of monitors and technology but you are SO right! Med/Surg is the best place to hone that nurse's instinct.