View Full Version : Registry Nurses - How do you do it?

geenaRN
12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
PixelRN (http://www.pixelrn.com) posted yesterday about her stint as a registry nurse.

I'm shocked that she got absolutely no orientation. The travelers in our hospital only get 3 days. They seem to do well enough.

How much orientation does a registry nurse usually get? I can't imagine it would be much. Do you think it's safe to work as a nurse with so little orientation?

I myself could never do it. My stomach would be swiss cheese with stress.

P/J
12-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Where is this post?

geenaRN
12-21-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.pixelrn.com/2007/12/the-worst-shift-that-never-was.html

Julie
12-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Interesting picture P/J!:santaclaus:

DisappearingJohn
12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
We don't use registry in the ED, but I know on the floors they get a "Here's the bathroom, here's the med room" tour, and off they go....

It is just that point that keeps me from trying it. I know a lot of the nurses I work with do a day of registry on the side for extra money, but it sounds kinda scary to me!

P/J
12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I've started to do agency work. Its like your first day over and over again. At least most of the hospitals use the same pumps, but I keep on forgetting to select the side when programing the double pumps. The only orientation I got the other day was 'this is your pt, there is the chair' (I was a sitter for psych). My pt ended up falling asleep, so I had a quick look around the ward. Still didn't find the nurse's locker room.

After reading the post I don't know what to think. I real bizzare situation. Maybe pixalRN needs to contact the Universities and see if they have some info on all the pumps available (I know our uni has examples of the most common pumps used for us to play with).

Thanks for the Comment Julie, Its my attempt at Christmas.

Mr Ian
12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I've done agency work for about 2 years. Once as a fill-in at various prisons for routine shifts and local psych hospitals for special obs duties etc.
The prison ones were hardest because they expected you to hit the floor skipping and jumping. Once you got the hang of the routine and organisation tho it was pretty easy going - except the 3 hour evening drug round for 96 female prisoners... yech.
Local hospitals were usually ok, I always checked the type of duty they wanted me to do so went prepared eg suicidal 1:1 - take something to share; aggressive patient, take something to smoke; psychotic person, take something, anything. Easier ones were often 1:1 cos the other staff left you alone to get on with it and generally by the end of the shift you got on real well with the patient. Some regular staff didn't check on you at all so I didn't bother to tell them anything, just write it in the notes and go.
Worst ones were special psych in medical ward when you didn't know the place or the patient. Young female Od'd on her bf's anticholinergic tablets (procyclidine) and needed physical treatment first in short stay unit. I was called in at urgent notice because the original male nurse (from another agency) walked out when he arrived for handover and was told the girl was menstruating and had removed her pad in delirium. On waking she was mad as a rat; the regular nursing staff maintained clinical responsibility but had little skill or knowledge of psychotic behaviour and so just kept adding diazepam. In the end I stepped in to review the med chart (staff were happy for me to do this as they were simply at a loss) and, as no antispychotics were written up I called the psych reg to write up some stat Olanzapine. She woke up 4 hours later completely fine (re psychoses). My shift ended when she was transferred to psych ward - 16 hours on public holiday pay.

As for the orientation - seen one sluice, seen them all. The issue being for regular staff, getting an agency nurse in is no use if you spend half the shift showing them around and helping them out. I just asked to be shown where my work tools were (pt notes, care plans, medications, legal documents if necessary, emergency protocols), who my patients were, where the toilet was, and where to run for help. Was nice to meet and greet your 'colleagues' for the day but that didn't always happen.

Though the money was a great incentive, I actually learned a lot about myself and about different clinical areas I might not have seen doing agency.

On the other hand; I booked an agency nurse one night for a nursing home I managed. The report from staff was he spent the whole night sleeping in a spare room while the unqualified staff ran the floor. He got removed from the agency.

Julie
12-28-2007, 05:21 AM
It definitely works both ways. I had had more experience of agency nurses coming to work with me than me actually going and doing the shifts. I have worked with some great nurses that way, particularly in London they were from all over the world which gives a great insight into nursing in other areas. They often had great tales to tell. At the same time I have also worked with some pretty lazy individuals and also had the misfortune to find a very stupid person who wasn't actually who they said they were. I have also found myself on nights with a director of nursing keeping her hand in by doing agency (that kept me on my toes)!