View Full Version : need advice! 1st position new grad.

Nursenovice
12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Here's my dilemma. I am a new grad hoping to get a position working the evening shift at a wonderful small acute rehab hospital where I have have been an aide. There are currently no openings except on the night shift. I really do not want to work this shift. Am a poor sleeper as it is and would like to avoid putting that stress on myself. Will I be setting a bad tone for myself professionally by not following this typical path for new nurses in training?
Thanks for the honest feedback and support!

runningnurse
12-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Congrats on getting through nursing school! You need to be true to yourself and know your limits. I didn't and though I'm getting better at recognizing things, I took on too much too fast. If you don't feel comfortable doing only nights then don't do it- you might discover that there are many other opportunities that will help broaden your horizons and that you can do them:) Listen to your heart/head and you'll find your niche, but also realize at the some point in time you may have to do nights...as I'm a fairly good sleeper I haven't had too much issue with them, but they do throw you off (on the other hand it really helped when I travelled to South Africa to visit family and had to deal with a 9 hour time difference!)
Anyways good luck in your new job and also remember to ask questions! Don't do it all yourself otherwise it just gets too messy...
Cheers

geenaRN
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
So your choices are working nights at this hospital that you are already employed at, or getting a job working days or eves somewhere else?

Hmmmmm.

If you really can't sleep during the day, you'll be doing yourself quite a disservice by forcing yourself to do so. I'm sure plenty of nurses skipped the night shift step on their way up the professional ladder. Good for them, I say.

I don't think you'd be setting a bad tone for yourself professionally at all. I think most new grads work nights because those are the positions most likely to be open.

You'll be most successful in a position where you are getting enough sleep! Take good care of yourself. Starting out in nursing is stressful.

Congrats on your graduation and good luck on the NCLEX!

KimRN
12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi!!

Welcome to Nursing Voices!!!

I did not go straight to the night shift after I graduated! I was a PM nurse for the first few years - and then found I loved the night shift!

You know your own body. If you REALLY want to work at this particular hospital, you may need to do a period of nights to get your foot in the door and build some seniority for when another position opens up.

If not, you can work at another hospital on a different shift to pick up some experience until something opens up at the hospital you want.

But be sure you really can't do nights. You may surprise yourself. I think it is the best shift - more pay, less work and less administration. Yeah, it can be rough at times, no question, but I think evening nurses work much harder than I do!

Either way, you deserve kudos for finishing nursing school and welcome to the profession! :rock:

Mother Jones, RN
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
You will not be doing yourself any favors by working a shift that is going to make you sick. Good sleep is a cornerstone to good health, and to a safe nursing practice. You need to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.

MJ :pepsi:

Nursenovice
12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Thank you for all the feedback and support! Nurses certainly are caring people!!