View Full Version : Predictions for 2008

Julie
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
So here we are on the verge of a new year. What are your predictions for the new year as far as nursing goes?

In the UK I believe that the authority of the doctor will be further eroded as we nurses (and managers and for that matter patients) ask doctors to justify their place as the only person capable of a diagnosis and to prescribe medication to patients.

It is not that I don't think they are the right people do do this, just that because I am more clever and better educated than you will no longer mean enough.

What about you?

:swordfight:

Marachne
12-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Looking at my research setting (Assisted Living) I predict that there will be a continued conflict between the "social model" and the "medical model"...and that there will be more legislation enacted around how much, and what kind of care can/should be provided.

Mother Jones, RN
12-31-2007, 02:39 AM
I predict that access to health care will continue to erode while insurance companies rake in more profits. I also predict that there will be a Democratic landslide in the next U.S. election.

MJ :pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:

runningnurse
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I think that in Canada there will be a slow move towards more private care...seeing as the population is aging fairly quickly and in the next 5-10 yrs the health care system as it sits right now won't be supported because it's based on the amount of people that work...we're also going to continue to lose nurses dus to retirements and the lack of #'s needed to replace them...it's not going to be all that pretty.
Happy New Year!

Julie
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Runningnurse, we have a similar kind of situation here in the UK. Ultimately all social healthcare systems need to have a debate with their stakeholders (patients, media, politicians, employees) about what a 'free at the point of contact' system should and can involve. As you say we have an aging population cared for by an aging workforce, we also have increasinly expensive drugs that can treat diseases not previously amenable to treatment. How we deal with that is going to help us identify what health services will be like in the future.

Happy New Year to you too!

MyOwnWoman
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I predict that access to health care will continue to erode while insurance companies rake in more profits.

MJ :pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:

Unfortunately, I think you are right. I knew I should have gone to school to be an insurance company owner!:D

Apeman
12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
I feel that nurses will press on regardless and do a fantastic job under difficult circumstances. We will meet the challanges thrown at us and move forward.

Have a fantastic New year.

DisappearingJohn
01-01-2008, 05:49 AM
I can only worry about me right now...

I see this year being a year of growth and movement on my part. I plan to expand my horizons by doing some part-time or registry work to see how "the other half" lives. I plan to keep my education growing, and continue to be a force for positive change in what I touch. Hopefully my attitude and desire will catch on, and maybe we can all make a positive change!:party::highfive:

Mr Ian
01-01-2008, 11:28 AM
It's a bit like elections - doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always wins. I predict things will appear to change, yet stay the same.

Events I predict include:
1. the discussion & planning of a bridging course from nursing to medic (probably termed Advanced Diagnostic and Prescribing Nurse - see Julie's post above).
2. a new government-led body to "look at ways of improving our system" meaning looking for more ways to reduce costs, not improve practice..
3. a bigger divide in the service availability between the haves and have nots - leading to the generation of new policies and laws to exclude more disadvantaged people.
4. a multi-disciplinary collaboration to hold the government to ransom/account on the provision of improved clinical care for ALL people.
5. nurses having to wear paper hats based on some obscure research

DisappearingJohn
01-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I could get into the paper hat thing!!!

Well, maybe not... I do like to have fun at work, so I'm sure I could design some GREAT paper hats to wear, though!

I must admit to being really scared about whatever changes come about at the national level for heath care in America... SO much is broken, that every idea I've seen seems to add to the problem, not solve anything...

KimRN
01-03-2008, 02:03 PM
5. nurses having to wear paper hats based on some obscure research

Oh....don't tease me like that!

Mine isn't made of paper but I would wear it in a heartbeat!

My prediction for 2008 is that I will complete 16 semester units by January 1, 2009. :highfive:

I predict that JCAHO will give us more paperwork and I'll get some really good blog posts out of griping about it! :dancing:

I predict the Chief Nursing Officer of the USPHS will become our National Nurse!

I predict I won't be discussing politics with Mother Jones, although otherwise we seem to have been born attached at the hip! :cheers: