View Full Version : Do you belong to the ANA?

Mother Jones, RN
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I was always under the impression that the ANA had hundreds of thousands of members. After all, they claim to speak for all nurses, but did you know that they only represent a small fraction of the 2.9 million nurses in the U.S.? I donít belong to the ANA because they donít represent my position on a lot of issues. Iíd like to know why others donít belong to the ANA. :nurse:

MJ :pepsi:

NurseSean
01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not a member......

then again, I'm Canadian...

nevermind...

geenaRN
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
No, I'm not a member.

I know that this is not a very PC thing to say, but I kind of like doing my job and then going home.

I'm sure that in a perfect world, we'd all love to be activists for our professions, but this isn't a perfect world.

I feel as though I give as much as I possibly can to be a good nurse. The rest of my time is given to my family and hobbies.

This is also the reason why I let my AACN memberships lapse as well.

Mother Jones, RN
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Nurse Sean, you crack me up! :dancing2:

Julie
01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm not either but I am a member of the Royal College of Nursing (royal connections help maybe).

The RCN acts as a kind of trade union by negotiating terms, conditions and pay along with other professional bodies. It also offers indemnity insurance and representation in employment anmd professional cases. One of the great things is that it has different sections for different types of nursing plus runs courses and conferences.

Even so, many people don't feel it represents their interests. Not sure how you please everyone.

LesleyJoy
01-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I have not joined the ANA because I lack the time and insight necessary to be involved in ANA's decision-making processes.

geenaRN
01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I have not joined the ANA because I lack the time and insight necessary to be involved in ANA's decision-making processes.

Yeah! What she said! :whistle:

LesleyJoy
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah! What she said! :whistle:

Geena! You are so funny! Thanks for the laugh :shakehands: .

I have found it difficult at times to choose the best from among all the good things there are to do in this world. They all look wonderful to my enthusiatic and uncritical eye! The result of such naviety is that I end up juggling flaming brands. Those obligations then either burn my hands or fall to the ground and set fire to everything! I've lived through enough 'scorched earth' times to be wary of taking on too many good things!

Here is to healthy boundaries and laughing while we juggle! ...Anyone have a fire extinguisher handy?

Joy

Mother Jones, RN
01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Joy:

Donít lose your enthusiasm for life. Itís the only thing that keeps you going in your old age.:dancing2:

MyOwnWoman
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't belong to the ANA either, if I was going to belong to a professional organization, I'd probably choose the ENA, only because I'm an Emergency Nurse and they do a lot of inservices that are pertinent to the ER.

But...on a realistic level, my heart belongs to getting the word out about Stem Cell Research because my niece thinks that is the most important thing in the world. She's a juvenile diabetic and wants people to know that insulin is not a cure, and she'd love to see a cure for diabetes (among other things) in her lifetime.

She's 16. All I wanted at 16 was a date for the movies every once in a while. Hmmmm.

Marachne
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't belong to the ANA. I do belong to NNOC, the National Nurses Organizing Committee (http://www.calnurses.org/nnoc/) because I like their activism for both nurses and patients. It is easy to get pulled into a lot of organizations, I guess I look for those that seem most pertinent: GSA,the Gerontological Society of America (http://geron.org) and HPNA, the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (http://www.hpna.org)

PixelRN
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't belong to the ANA. I'm just not one for nurse politics/activism. I'm not sure what they do that contributes to our profession anyway. Here's an example:

I work for a "Magnet" hospital. This is designation that the ANA gives to certain hospitals for being "nurse-friendly." So this "Magnet" hospital that I work for demands that nurses come in on their days off and scrub toilets and take out the trash if and when the service workers go on strike. Granted, this might only happen once every ten years, but still... How "nurse-friendly" is that?

Mother Jones, RN
01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Ha! "Magnet Hospital" is a designer label created by the ANA as a way of making money for their organization. Frankly, I think that it's a scam.

P/J
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I take it that the ANA is your union body. I belong to both the State and Federal nursing groups (and I get student rates for both). With need to provide evidence of continual learning it is easier to do the activities and read the material provided by them then to find my own.
I was always under the impression that the ANA had hundreds of thousands of members. After all, they claim to speak for all nurses, but did you know that they only represent a small fraction of the 2.9 million nurses in the U.S.? I donít belong to the ANA because they donít represent my position on a lot of issues. Iíd like to know why others donít belong to the ANA. :nurse:
You can't expect the ANA to support your views if you do not let them know that your views are. If all nurses have this attitude it is no wonder no one is a member, if you all join they will have to support the common view which could be yours. We have just had our State nurses go on strike for a pay rise. This was negotiated with the ANF (our union), members were invited to vote of each stage of the action and in the end nurses started to close beds in the hospitals. We got our pay rise. But not all nurses agreed with the action and they were heard by the group and the action taken was changed to try and accomidate their concerns.

But its a bit of 'together we concur, divided we fall'.

KimRN
01-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't belong to the ANA either, if I was going to belong to a professional organization, I'd probably choose the ENA, only because I'm an Emergency Nurse and they do a lot of inservices that are pertinent to the ER.

But...on a realistic level, my heart belongs to getting the word out about Stem Cell Research because my niece thinks that is the most important thing in the world. She's a juvenile diabetic and wants people to know that insulin is not a cure, and she'd love to see a cure for diabetes (among other things) in her lifetime.

She's 16. All I wanted at 16 was a date for the movies every once in a while. Hmmmm.

That's pretty impressive - maybe she'll be the one who discovers the cure!!! I knew I wanted to be a nurse at 16, but I was more interested in cheerleading at the time.

LesleyJoy
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Joy:

Donít lose your enthusiasm for life. Itís the only thing that keeps you going in your old age.:dancing2:

OK, MJ. And thanks. :shakehands:

Joy

KimRN
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
When I first became a nurse, the California Nurses Association membership automatically made you a member of the American Nurses Association. Then, CNA split from ANA and I have not been a member since.

It was always my impression that the ANA was made up of hoity-toity old gray-haired ladies who had not touched a bedpan in years and could care less about the nurse at the bedside.

Now, having a few gray hairs myself, I'm pretty sure it's not true.

I really should do some research on where they stand these days on issues and update my rather insulting impression.

On a day-to-day basis, you cannot beat the Emergency Nurses Association for actual "use this at the bedside" information. JEN is THE best journal out there.

Mother Jones, RN
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I feel your pain about having gray hair. Ha! :dancing2:

Babyboomer
01-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I just joined the ANA. For most of my nursing career I never really became too involved in the profession, but I have had a recent interest since I see a lot of frustrating things about health care and nursing in general. So many of the nursing blogs I see are those from very frustrated unhappy nurses. There are certainly a lot of issues out there, and I feel I don't have room to complain if I don't attempt to be part of the solution. I figured at the least I would join my professional organiztion--if they are the ones lobbying for us, I want them to at least hear what I have to say. The doc's have the AMA and the NP's have their professional groups, and they have been able to accomplish some things. We are unfortunately a fragmented group--different education levels, different work areas, but the unfortunate unifying factor seems to be that frustration. Maybe we are the ones who can change that! (?) Babyboomer

Mother Jones, RN
01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I just joined the ANA. For most of my nursing career I never really became too involved in the profession, but I have had a recent interest since I see a lot of frustrating things about health care and nursing in general. So many of the nursing blogs I see are those from very frustrated unhappy nurses. There are certainly a lot of issues out there, and I feel I don't have room to complain if I don't attempt to be part of the solution. I figured at the least I would join my professional organiztion--if they are the ones lobbying for us, I want them to at least hear what I have to say. The doc's have the AMA and the NP's have their professional groups, and they have been able to accomplish some things. We are unfortunately a fragmented group--different education levels, different work areas, but the unfortunate unifying factor seems to be that frustration. Maybe we are the ones who can change that! (?) Babyboomer

:nurse:I glad to see someone who wants to become a part of the solution. I have one bite of advice for you now that you are a member of the ANA. Follow their political activities closely. They are advocating for workplace reform--which is a good thing--but they are not working to promote the Office of the National Nurse. The office would promote public health while raising the profile of nursing on par with the Surgeon General. I no longer belong to the ANA because they stopped representing my interests on Capitol Hill.

Congratulations on your decision to become active within our profession. :congrats:

Babyboomer
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the heads up Mother Jones. I am trying to be positive and proactive. :star:

Mother Jones, RN
01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Your welcome! :party::dancing2::party: