View Full Version : Buying your own doctor

nursingaround
01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
In Russia, for $50 USD you can get a doctor to write anything. Oh well, this is Russia, itís just how things are, surely the States isnít like this!!!

I was wrong. An American student came to me with a doctorís letter saying she has an ankle injury. It didnít state what ankle, just said she had some fluid there. She is not allowed to ski, but is allowed to ice-skate, climb, hike and everything else. I suppose it helps when your dad is in the top twenty richest men in the world.

Another American doctor wrote the following ĎPatient has poor circulation and is advised not to do exerciseí Needless to say this seems rather contradictory. The teenagerís father is another billionaire.

I usually let it go as itís a battle I canít win. I donít get frustrated at the students as this is what theyíve been brought up to do, to buy people.

Instead, I get angry at the doctors. As I said earlier, it used to be mainly the Russian students with their Russian doctorís, but more often it is now the super rich American kids with their bought and paid for American doctors.

It may not seem like a big deal, and youíd be right, but it doesnít stop it from being sad.

Mother Jones, RN
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
The only doctor I want to buy is Dr. McDreamy from Grey's Anatomy. But really, it does make one's blood boil to see the rich and powerful get away with this type of behavior. :mad:

MJ :pepsi:

MyOwnWoman
01-17-2008, 08:16 PM
I want to buy a doctor to do my laundry and clean my house. Ok, it doesn't have to be a doctor, it can be a medical student, NP, nurse, nursing student, garbage collector.....or really anyone who wants to do it.:laugh:

Julie
01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
In the UK Doctors can be encouraged to turn up to events e.g. training and where you inform them of stuff by bribing them with food (preferably hot) and with cash apparently to pay locums.

How much it would cost for a naked, good looking doctor to clean your house I hate to estimate. This kind of thing could not be achieved on a UK nurses salary!!

geenaRN
01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
How much it would cost for a naked, good looking doctor to clean your house I hate to estimate. This kind of thing could not be achieved on a UK nurses salary!!

Does it have to be a doctor?

Oh my, this thread has been derailed :)

Mother Jones, RN
01-18-2008, 09:55 PM
You have achieved the impossible.

*I'm blushing.*

Julie
01-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Did I say naked? I must have got carried away!! Sorry folks:withstupid:

P/J
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
In Russia, for $50 USD you can get a doctor to write anything. Oh well, this is Russia, itís just how things are, surely the States isnít like this!!!
No. In the states you would be lucky to be able to see a doctor in the first place!

I usually let it go as itís a battle I canít win. I donít get frustrated at the students as this is what theyíve been brought up to do, to buy people.
ooooo, down girl! You have just summed all rich people into being egotistical bastards, who buy their way to the top. You will find that many rich people got where they are by hard work and working with people.

Instead, I get angry at the doctors. As I said earlier, it used to be mainly the Russian students with their Russian doctorís, but more often it is now the super rich American kids with their bought and paid for American doctors.
I would suggest ringing the doctor to clarify why the note was written and put the pressure on them. If the note is to get out of school work, it might be advisable for that student to get work that they can do instead (so it is not a free period). So if they are missing out on playing football in gym, then they get to write out the rules to football instead. This gives the message that the note may get you out to the physical side but you still have to do work.

On the other topic of this Thread.
McSteamy (Grey's Anatomy) needs his own spin off program with the Obs doctor (what ever her name was)

Polaris
01-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I couldn't imagine buying off a doctor. I know it happens, but it's just so hard to think of - especially workin with ER docs who are usually to busy to deal with crap like that.

KimRN
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
In the UK Doctors can be encouraged to turn up to events e.g. training and where you inform them of stuff by bribing them with food (preferably hot) and with cash apparently to pay locums.

JULIE!! Under that prim and proper facade is a wild woman!:elephant:

I can't get the good looking lawyer I married to clean the house, naked or otherwise.

But I must say that US doctors, especially residents, will do anything as long as food is provided! :rock:

Julie
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
JULIE!! Under that prim and proper facade is a wild woman!

Who said I was either prim or proper kim?

:sheep::idea::sheep:

geenaRN
01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
But I must say that US doctors, especially residents, will do anything as long as food is provided!

One could certainly argue that nurses are the same way. :eating:

Mother Jones, RN
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
It's true. Still waters run deep, and nurses know how to have fun. :laugh:

:party: :party: