View Full Version : Invisible Nurses

dear_amber
01-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I was just wondering.. How does it make you guys feel when you see doctors doing the jobs of nurses in TV dramas, and the roles of nurses being virtually ignored? (Do you even think this is the case?). There are so many hospital shows around, but I wonder why they don't make a drama with nurses as the main characters!

Julie
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Well personally I find it pretty annoying, but I don't think the world of TV is ready yet to face the idea that the doctor doesn't know everything and what is more that nurses can do many of the jobs previously in the remit of the Doctor.

geenaRN
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
It doesn't bother me. I still like watching Grey's Anatomy even though the only nurse portrayal has been that one nurse that sleeps with all the docs.

Television shows, for me, are an escape from reality. I don't care that the stuff that happens on ER would never happen in real life, either.

When people need a nurse, that's when they will find out what a nurse really does.

Mother Jones, RN
01-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I roll my eyes and laugh. It doesn't make me upset because it looks so fake.

MJ :pepsi:

LesleyJoy
01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I do not watch TV medical dramas. I cannot bear to see the sometimes bad medicine, the goofy techniques, the mishmashed legal issues, and the psychosocial shenanigans portrayed therein.

I have tried, mind you, to watch them. But I have yet to make it to the finale. Which is probably a good thing. Family tells me that my reactions to the storylines are far more interesting - and alarming - than any of the glamorized disease, blood and gore that happens to be squeezed in between commercials. Apparently my face becomes a hypertensive maroon. Sotto voce deprecations can be heard from my corner. Then suddenly, like a pressure cooker left too long on the stove, I explode. Multisyllabic words fill the air as I wave my arms around and invite the whole world to witness the latest lunacy.

Nope. It is better I don't watch.

Joy

Kaliki
01-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I really love "House", and get a great kick out of the young doctors doing surgery, injecting meds into IVs, doing the labs themselves, and especially breaking into people's houses to find their stash! These people would SO be sued. Even House would have his pants sued off, especially for injecting drugs into people to see what will happen (on a hunch). This is great TV!

NurseSean
01-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I do a lot of eye-rolling. But, I still love the shows. After all, they're made for entertainment, not to reflect reality.

P/J
01-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Australia used to have a drama about nurses. It was called 'All Saints' after the hospital that it was based around. It showed the lives of the staff in Ward 17 a dumping ward for the rest of the hospital. It went for a few seasons then the doctors started to more in. It is now a medical program set in the ED of the same hospital, it is still about the nurses, but also the doctors in the unit.

Geena, Geena, Geena.:pound: You are not watching Grey's Anatomy close enough. There have been three nurses featured (that I can remember). An African/American male nurse who doesn't help the doctors when they have stuffed up (in a few ep), the female nurse who dated George. And the final one was when Yang insulted the nurses and one nurse kept beeping her to do the dirty work.

Oh dear. I've just admitted to watching it...CLOSELY. :banghead:

Mother Jones, RN
01-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I've been known to beep doctors every hour on the hour around the clock when they piss me off. Maybe I should get out of nursing and start writing for TV shows after the writer's strike is over. :laugh:

MJ :pepsi:

geenaRN
01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Geena, Geena, Geena.:pound: You are not watching Grey's Anatomy close enough. There have been three nurses featured (that I can remember). An African/American male nurse who doesn't help the doctors when they have stuffed up (in a few ep), the female nurse who dated George. And the final one was when Yang insulted the nurses and one nurse kept beeping her to do the dirty work.

Oh dear. I've just admitted to watching it...CLOSELY. :banghead:

Wow, you do watch closely! I thought the nurse George dated was the same one that slept around.

P/J
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm wondering if watching Grey's Anatomy is considered studying.

P/J
05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
UPDATE.
More nurses on Gray's Anatomy!!
2 nurses were behind the desk in one ep.

But we now have ROSE!!!! (Ok we are behind in Australia and I'm behind in my posting as she has been around for a few weeks now) But why can't we have a nurse either say no or they date on her terms, or a MALE NURSE actually be named and appear for a few episodes.