View Full Version : Future Nurse (?)

indya_louise
01-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey, I found this forum a few days ago and have to say I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences as nurses. I'm 21 and I've applied to nursing school here in Northern Ireland and I'm waiting to hear back from them to know whether I've been accepted or not (well, the next step would be an interview). At the minute I'm a Trust Home Care Worker, meaning that I work in the community for my local health trust, providing care to people within their own homes.
So, I'm really glad to find this place, it's brilliant to hear from nurses around the world, makes me antsy to get to uni and see if I'm cut out for it!

Nice to meet you all :curtsey:

indya

TheBean
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Indya! Welcome! The members of this board offer really sage advice and great support. I'm a nursing student myself. Hope you hear back from your school soon.

LesleyJoy
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Welcome, Indya! It is good to meet you. Please keep us posted on your progress.

One of the things I like about nursing is the opportunity to self-select to different disciplines within the profession of nursing. Over these many years I have worked in emergency ground and air transportation, in hospitals, and as a hospice nurse seeing people in their homes. I now serve as a patient care services supervisor. While this job title means different things in different hospitals, what it means for me is that I am neither fish (senior management) nor fowl (staff nurse). Rather, I bridge the gap between the two. I ensure the emotional and physical safety of staff so that they can do their work. I also act as a clinical resource and a politician as needed.

When you have a moment, won't you please share with us information about nursing in Ireland?

Thanks!

Joy

Julie
01-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Welcome Indya Louise it is great to see someone else from the UK. Looking forward to hearing about your journey into Nurse Training!!

geenaRN
01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Hello Indya! Welcome to NV. Please do share about nursing in Ireland :)

Good luck on your acceptance.

KimRN
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Hello Indya! Welcome to NV. Please do share about nursing in Ireland :)

Good luck on your acceptance.

I second Geena's welcome! And I would love to know what nursing education is like in Ireland, so please let us know what you are studying and how your clinicals work!!

:party:

MyOwnWoman
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome

indya_louise
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Just in case anyone wanted to know, I got an interview for nursing school :-) It's the end of next week and then I'll hear back from them in May/June time... Anybody have any advice for the interview? It'll last 20min and I'll be scored on the answers I give, though I'm not even sure what they'll ask me! It's quite daunting. I'm excited though :marshmallow:

geenaRN
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Congratulations on your interview!

If they'll be "scoring" the answers you give, does that mean that the interview will consist of technical-type questions?

I don't remember interviewing for nursing school, but I do remember interviewing for my transfer to ICU. I knew NOTHING about ICU. Nada. The interviewer gave me a scenario and asked what I would do - I told her that I honestly had no idea. I figured I tanked, but she offered me a job the next day.

So I guess the moral of this story is that even if you flub a question or two, it may not make a difference. And personally, as a nurse and preceptor... I would rather a new nurse say "I don't know" than make something up.

Good luck!

Mother Jones, RN
02-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Welcome to Nursing Voices. Come back soon and tell us all about your interview. :nurse:

MJ :pepsi:

indya_louise
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
...I start uni in September!

I got my offer through the post yesterday, so I'm very relieved and very excited! Just so ya know...

:ridinghorse:

P/J
06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
The marshmellow men of happiness dance in celebration!! Congratulations, Make sure you let us know how you are going throughout the course.

:marshmallow::marshmallow::marshmallow:

b.love
06-21-2008, 05:23 AM
keep us updated on your acceptance to the wonderful wld of nursing!

good luck.

indya_louise
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, I start school in about a week and a half(!) I'm really looking forward to it, I'm moving into my new place today. I got all my info in the post, including my timetable for the first week and different forms to fill in... it all seems so real now! I go for my uniform fitting next week too. Hopefully it won't be long before I have actual school/nursing related things to talk about!

:rock:

Julie
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Great news; really looking forward to hearing all about your first days in nursing school!!

Good luck!

P/J
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Great news. Keep excited about it!!

indya_louise
09-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Keep excited about it!!
Lol, yeah, I'll try. I should probably write down everything I'm thinking now so I can read it in 6 months when I'm worn out and stressed from assignments and placements, along with lack of sleep (and money!).

amy123
09-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi India! Welcome! The members of this board offer really sage advice and great support. I'm a nursing student myself. Hope you hear back from your school soon.
========================================
amy

Job Opportunities (http://jobs.gov-auctions.org)