View Full Version : Words of Wisdom

Mother Jones, RN
01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
There are a lot of new grads walking the hallways of my hospital, and I always tell them to speak up and not let others push them around. I just wondering, what words of wisdom do you give to new grads? :nurse:

MJ :pepsi:

runningnurse
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Being a fairly recent grad myself (2 yrs ago) I always tell students to ask ask ask, no question is stupid...the more you ask the better people are going to feel about you and your practice. I learned the hard way:banghead: but got through it and love where I work now.

geenaRN
01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Always chart with a jury in mind. When something happens and you chart about it, re-read what you wrote and ask yourself if it would stand up in court.

MyOwnWoman
01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Good advice Geena, and I might add..... "if you didn't chart it, you didn't do it."

PixelRN
01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Now that I use paper charting I just to try to write stuff as unintelligibly as possible so no one can question what I did.

ONLY KIDDING PEOPLE!!!
:wave:

Seriously, though, I tell newbie nurses to not be too hard on themselves. No matter what, the first two years of nursing are going to be the most difficult, so you have to congratulate yourself just for the sheer act of surviving them.
:highfive:

P/J
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh, you should hear some of the stupid questions that get asked in our class. There are definatly stupid questions!:crutches:

That is a good suggestion about charting with the jury in mind (although, is our practice that bad that we have to be like this). We were told of a case where the nurse had written in the notes 'NBFB', the notes went to court due to a neglegence case. :ridinghorse: The nurse was called up to testify and was asked what she meant by NBFB (as no one could work out what it meant). With a red face she said 'Not Bad For Bainsdale (a town nearby)' Meaning that the guy was good looking, unlike most people in the small town. So my advice is only chart things which are related to your patients care and leave fighting over the good looking footballers to handover :date:.

Polaris
01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
NBFB - snort. Heehee. That's funny.

We had a nurse chart "Pt is not a happy camper" when a baby was crying. Sigh...........

I like the advice about charting. I don't know how many times I quote that to new staff - I sound like a broken record.

I also tell the new nurses to not be afraid of the physicians. The have to wipe their butt after a poop just like the rest of us. That usually makes them giggle and relax a little.

KimRN
01-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm loving these bits of advice - and they are all true!

NBFB? "Not a happy camper" - LOL!

The first year is the hardest, but I had an older nurse tell me that no matter how bad it seems, the shift will end and you will take home experience that will help you the next time things become hectic.

I clung to that "eventually the shift will be over" mantra many a time during the last 30 years! ;)

JaneH, RN
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
We had a Travel Nurse chart, "Small amt. of pussy drainage noted from end of penis". This was during our Joint Commission Survey! The next night when the same nurse came on duty, the nurses told her the Joint Commission folks wanted to talk to her about her charting. This was NOT true...but the look of SHOCK on her face was 'Priceless':hahaha:. Thankfully this travel nurse had a Great sense of humor and we ALL had a belly laugh with her.:hahaha::eek::dancing2:
JaneH, RN

Julie
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
That is just classic!

Welcome to Nursing Voices by the Way JaneH RN! :D

KimRN
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
We had a Travel Nurse chart, "Small amt. of pussy drainage noted from end of penis". This was during our Joint Commission Survey! The next night when the same nurse came on duty, the nurses told her the Joint Commission folks wanted to talk to her about her charting. This was NOT true...but the look of SHOCK on her face was 'Priceless':hahaha:. Thankfully this travel nurse had a Great sense of humor and we ALL had a belly laugh with her.:hahaha::eek::dancing2:
JaneH, RN

LOLOL

I'm dyin heah!

JaneH, RN
01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Thank you for your warm welcome Julie. It's great to be a member of Nursing Voices. I look forward to sharing with others in our profession. I have PASSION for QUALITY patient care and I enjoy sharing with others who feel the same way.:pcguru::rock:
JaneH, RN

geenaRN
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, JaneH, welcome! It's great to see you here. :flowers:

Mother Jones, RN
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey, JaneH, warn us next time before you post something like that on the board. I just spit Diet Coke all over my computer screen. Too funny!!!!!!! :laugh:

MJ :pepsi:

MyOwnWoman
01-22-2008, 08:39 PM
One more addendum to charting. There are some things that a patient says that I quote directly and put in quotation marks. The things I do this with are mainly the nasty, vulgar words that a patient is using that shows examples of how poorly the patient is complying. Yep, I've even put the "f-bomb" in quotes if appropriate. I just state the facts... Just like Joe Friday from Dragnet!

P/J
01-23-2008, 12:02 AM
More wisdom. This is from our hospital educator.

Don't be afraid to cry in front of a deceased pts family. (I mean tears not out right sobbing).

A nursing student was helping to wash a pt which was near EOL. He was rolled onto his side and the nurse had to leave to get another towel leaving the student to gently ease the pt back onto his back. He had died while she was holding him. They called the wife in (who was just outside the door) the student was upset with the passing, but then became embarrassed as she was more tearful then the wife (the wife expected the passing). It took a lot of convincing to get the student to realize that we all cry, just some of us make it to the toilets before we let go.

KimRN
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
It took a lot of convincing to get the student to realize that we all cry, just some of us make it to the toilets before we let go.

Boy, isn't that the truth!!

Babyboomer
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Just because others might not wash their hands, always wash yours! Hospital infections rates are high!!! Please don't learn our bad habits!:party:!!!