View Full Version : Bargain Hunters

Mother Jones, RN
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I have the weekend off, so I'm hitting the garage sales. Once I found a Fiesta Mixing bowl at a yard sale for 50 cents. The one I found sells at antique stores for around $400.

What's the deal you have ever found when you were out shopping?

Christopher Dallman
07-01-2007, 11:04 AM
An electrostatic wart and haemorrhoid remover. It has these glass discharge rods which cauterise the offending tissues by zapping them with little sparks of electricity. It looks ancient, and I got it for a fiver.

Mother Jones, RN
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Christopher, do you remember what you paid for your little gizmo? I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do you use it for now? :D

MJ

Christopher Dallman
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
As I said, I got it for a fiver (5). It's up in the loft at the moment. It might be worth something someday.

Mother Jones, RN
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm always looking for old valuable stuff in thrift stores and garage sales, but I never have any luck. Maybe one day I'll find a rare item, sell it for bizillion dollars, and retire from the hospital.

Hope springs eternal.

MJ

KimRN
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I have the weekend off, so I'm hitting the garage sales. Once I found a Fiesta Mixing bowl at a yard sale for 50 cents. The one I found sells at antique stores for around $400.

What's the deal you have ever found when you were out shopping?

How did I miss this? A Fiesta bowl for fifty cents?? Dang!!! I'm horrible at garage sales - I want everything I see! I like old magazines - the ads are cool! My husband made $10,000 one year (yes, you read that right!) selling old ads on ebay! I still have a closet full of old magazines from the 20s-60s!

Shane
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
So is that where all the old ads on your blog come from?

MyOwnWoman
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Last year around Thanksgiving time I was in one of those "Everything is a Dollar" stores and they had these adorable soft cuddly bears for a dollar a piece. The bears were about the size of a newborn baby.

I bought the store out of them, I think there were about 50 or so left and on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, the nurses gave them out to any child who came into the ER. You'd have thought we were Santa Claus the children loved them so much. I loved doing it and it was the best thing about working that day.

They had bunnies at Easter time and I did the same thing. A few other people contributed money but that wasn't really the issue. The issue was that it made ME feel so good! ....and of course, the bottom line is always about ME!

pattybee
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
That is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.