View Full Version : Informatics

angelbev
01-21-2008, 12:57 PM
so what allows someoen to call themselves a Nurse Informatic? Does it require a degree? Or can anyone who is responsible for computer programs within their job use that term? I see it used a fair amount and the knowledge that I would expect from someoen with education is not always there.

LesleyJoy
01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
angelbev,

Computer anything makes my head ache. That's why, now that one of my children is a computer engineer, I don't have to take aspirin everyday!

I, therefore, can tell you only two things about your inquiry:

1. the Nurse Informatics person at my place of employment does not speak English. I know this because even though she was born in the midwest to people whose own parents were born there (as were their parents), I cannot understand a word she says! All I know is that when I call to complain about the obstinate program(s) I am supposed to be using, every one of the many delightful individuals with whom she works gives me to her. Every time. And no matter how hard I try to concisely describe the constipated, obstructed, congested, asthmatic, infarcted, arthritic, anemic, hemorraghic, hypertensive, diaphoretic and/or leprous state of affairs, she doesn't get it. All I ever hear from the other end of the phone is a few seconds of dead silence, followed a short, sharp multisyllabic but unintelligble phrase which is followed in turn by a big sigh and a very loud click. I wonder if she has both a hearing and a speech deficit. Perhaps she has ADD, too. Anyway, before long some kind soul from the IS department shows up in my office. This person will wave his/her hands over the keyboard and voila! Everything works again. I keep the department supplied with chocolate, lattes, and probably some pretty good stories about Joy's latest systems misadventure. The latter are always exaggerated, I am certain!

2, Go to the following for some great information: http://www.nursing-informatics.com/sitemap.html

Julie
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Great answer Lesleyjoy. I wish I could understand more of what goes on with my computer (particularly when it comes to work) but I can't and so long as the informatics people know what they are doing then they can just carry on.

I am impressed that you can consider getting your head around being both a nurse and an informatics person! :D

starkissed
01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
From what I understand, Nursing Informatics is an advanced practiced degree that you would achieve through a Master's level program. Got this information from the Duke University Nursing school website, if you are interested in checking it out. Link here (http://nursing.duke.edu/modules/son_academic/index.php?id=3)