View Full Version : Poor Britney Spears

Mother Jones, RN
02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of Britney Spears, but I've been feeling really bad for her over the last couple of days. The press is reporting everything about her condition, and about her behavior on the psych unit. Do we really need to know that the doctors put her on Seroquel, Lithium, and Depakote? I really hope that the information isn't coming from within the hospital. :motz:

What do you think about this situation:questionmark:

geenaRN
02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I'm a little shocked at how much attention she's getting. But then I guess a small part of me is grateful that there isn't something worse going on in the world to report on, kwim?

Anyway, it's obvious something is seriously wrong with her and my feeling is that I can't believe it's taken this long for her to be committed. It's hard to base an opinion only on what the media feeds us, but it looks like she's in pretty bad shape.

Her youngest is only 1... I wonder if it's some sort of post partum psychosis/depression?

MyOwnWoman
02-02-2008, 01:28 AM
It's funny you should mention Britney because just yesterday I was thinking the same thing. I'm not a big fan of Britney either but I watched a video on You Tube that showed her acting so scared talking in the faux British Accent and the photo hounds just kept snapping and snapping the photos. There is no doubt that something is seriously wrong with her and yes, she's a "public figure" but for God's sake, leave her alone to heal!

Julie
02-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Have to agree with the comments so far. There seems to be an assumption (by the papparazi) that they actually own the lives of the rich and famous. My questions re: Britney are - who is feeding them the information all the time? Is it her family, management or whatever? When is it ever right for a motorcade of ambulances, police and press to be beamed around the world in the way that was?

Mother Jones, RN
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I saw a photo of Britney last night after I put up this post. She looked so lost and afraid. She didn't look like herself at all. It's really sad.

MJ :pepsi:

P/J
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Mother Jones!!! wash your mouth out... 'Poor Britney Spears' my A$$. She is spoilt with the fame and lifestyle going to her head.

Her youngest is only 1... I wonder if it's some sort of post partum psychosis/depression? For it to be this she would have to be looking after the kid in some way. Its more like she gave birth and went back to her lifestyle.

It is a pity to see this happen to such a talent, and I think that someone should have been looking out for her, not her family or friends as they are involved in her life too closely enjoying the publicity and the money. Where is the manager, he/she should have been there protecting their investment (Britney). It is probably a good thing that she has finally been committed it might lead to her cleaning up and getting her life back on track.

MyOwnWoman
02-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Mother Jones!!! wash your mouth out... 'Poor Britney Spears' my A$$. She is spoilt with the fame and lifestyle going to her head.

PJ, I respectfully disagree. Her behavior is not one of being spoiled, but one of a truly mentally ill person. Whether her problems started with her drug use or not, she is ill. I'm leaning towards the fact that she was probably a little ill before her fame.

Again, I'll state that I would not pay to see a Britney concert; nor do I think she's a great talent, but constant badgering of anyone (even me) would put me on edge, and if you are on edge to begin with, it can only make matters worse.

LittleBird
02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I have to agree with MyOwnWoman. There is much more going on than simply a spoiled young woman. We only see what the media shows us, which probably isn't the full picture... however it is probably too much. It is a very sad situation, and really has gotten out of control.

Postpartum depression/psychosis... I have wondered that for a little while now. Looking at the timing of a lot of the events, it might fit. Although the latest gossip websites are reporting that she is bipolar. I have to wonder where all these leaks regarding her condition and care are coming from...

And Pj's comment "For it to be this she would have to be looking after the kid in some way." There is more to postpartum depression/psychosis than just having to take care of a baby. There are a lot of hormone changes going on. Mothers who give their babies up for adoption can develop postpartum depression. Really, those kids are lucky that they have had other caregivers available while their mom has been going through all of this.

geenaRN
02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
And Pj's comment "For it to be this she would have to be looking after the kid in some way." There is more to postpartum depression/psychosis than just having to take care of a baby. There are a lot of hormone changes going on. Mothers who give their babies up for adoption can develop postpartum depression. Really, those kids are lucky that they have had other caregivers available while their mom has been going through all of this.

I was going to say exactly this.

KimRN
02-04-2008, 04:34 PM
This is WAY past "acting out" and into serious illness. I guess after her 5150, she was put on a 14-day hold. They have to have serious reasons for this, you have to essentially prove the patient is not well enough for release.

My niece was diagnosed bipolar and borderline without a hint of suspicion until she was 22 years old. It's more than sad - it's laughing and ridiculing a mental illness.

This is not "rehab" material for the tabloids.

This is this woman's life.

: (

Julie
02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Over here we have had Amy Winehouse self destructing. I hate the way other peoples obvious mental illness becomes other peoples Magazine story!

P/J
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry if I have offended everyone :pound:, but I think we are all getting to the same point: Her current troubles should not be in the headlines other than to show that anyone can develop bipolar.

Re-reading the comment about 'looking after the child' it sounds wrong now, but this is not postpartum depression, she has lost the plot. Why has it taken a ?year? for this all to be diagnosed, she is in the media's eye there can't be much of a lack of evidence, could it be that it was thought to be postpartum depression but was ruled out.
According to the DSM-IV-TR Postpartum depression has the following characteristics:
* Sleep- insomnia or hypersomnia Can we really tell?
* Interest- loss of interest or pleasure She seems to be having plenty of pleasure for a long time (until she lost custody and got into drugs
* Guilt- feelings of worthlessness ??
* Energy- fatigue Plenty of this
* Concentration- diminished ability to think or make decisions She is making decissions but just not the right ones
* Appetite- eating too much or too little A celebrty eat? I'm sure I've seen pictures....so no loss
* Psychomotor- generalized slowing of movements Dancing at parties
* Suicidality- preoccupation with death or hopelessness Yes, from the last I heard

"Really, those kids are lucky that they have had other caregivers available while their mom has been going through all of this."
But who is caring for them!! They are under the care of K-Fed but who is really doing the caring (I don't know much about him other than he is a rapper, is there a nanny or something?) as the media are saying that he is a party person just like Briteny.

I am not saying that she doesn't have Postpartum depression (I'm getting better at spelling postpartum because of this post :) ) But I think that there is more to it, we seem to be hearing a lot about it in the past few months, so I think it is more likely to be a drug induced psychosis leading to long term psychosis.

P/J
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Over here we have had Amy Winehouse self destructing. I hate the way other peoples obvious mental illness becomes other peoples Magazine story!

Thats what you get for singing about it though. ".....want to go to rehab, and I said a NO, NO, NO"

LittleBird
02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry if I have offended everyone :pound:, but I think we are all getting to the same point: Her current troubles should not be in the headlines other than to show that anyone can develop bipolar.

Re-reading the comment about 'looking after the child' it sounds wrong now, but this is not postpartum depression, she has lost the plot. Why has it taken a ?year? for this all to be diagnosed, she is in the media's eye there can't be much of a lack of evidence, could it be that it was thought to be postpartum depression but was ruled out.

No offense taken. I think I know what you meant, but it came out wrong :)

From what I can see, this last year has been building up to something with her. The fact that once Britney's head shaving was in last week's magazine, nobody thought anything else of it. Let her hit rock bottom if it will sell magazines. I wonder if she has anybody in her life who isn't interested in getting something from her... who isn't using her for money, publicity, fame... Who might possibly care for her as a person, and not for a pay check.

geenaRN
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Re-reading the comment about 'looking after the child' it sounds wrong now, but this is not postpartum depression, she has lost the plot. Why has it taken a ?year? for this all to be diagnosed,

It can take up to a year for postpartum depression to manifest itself.

Her downward spiral has been going on for awhile now.

Postpartum depression, when not treated, can progress to postpartum psychosis. I'm sure you've heard stories about that sort of thing.

Julie
02-05-2008, 03:28 AM
I have to say that her behaviour after the birth of baby number 1 was bizarre so who is to say she didn't have postpartum depression then? On top of which she gets pregnant again and her marriage falls apart.

P/J - a patient once accused me of being flippant about her disease (rheumatoid arthritis). This caused me to carefully reflect on some of the things I said to others. Your comments, while partly true and demonstrating some reflectivity are also just a little flippant.

Mr Ian
02-05-2008, 05:10 AM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears):
At age eight she auditioned for the Disney Channel series The New Mickey Mouse Club. Although she was considered too young to join the series at the time, a producer on the show introduced her to a New York City agent.

As a brit (British, not Britney fan) I recall the issues of one Mr George Best who in the 1970's was an extremely talented football player - aka "soccer" to those who may call me limey or pomme! He simply could not handle the unprecedented fame that came with being one of the UK's first sporting superstars and eventually turned to alcohol. Of course, his alcoholic exploits then became his behaviour of interest to the media and so the cycle continued.

Britney's collapse was more or less pre-ordained from the time she set foot onto the Disney Channel. After that, she became a victim of fame and fortune seeking, propelled into it by those who were charged with her care until such time as she could determine for herself; by which time it was all too late.
As a working 8 year old her life has been far from normal and probably hasn't allowed for her to develop the fundamental coping strategies and certainly won't have given her much opportunity to 'find herself' amidst the images and opinions of the millions of others who are more than prepared to cast their ill-considered assumptive opinions about.
The fact she is a celebrity is not something that should be held against her; we envy celebrities for their rich & famous lifestyle; we analyse their every move via media; we denounce them for their life decisions if we don't agree with them; and then when they fall we push them aside with a portion of "spoilt brat" thrown on top. Yet, it is we the public that financially support this status by purchasing the things that make them rich - so they must be doing something good for the general population?

Some, many, celebrities cope ok with being a celebrity. When you start with such great exposure at a young age (and your chabnce for a 'normal life' is taken from you, your chances of survival are severeley compromised. Just ask Michael Jackson.

Ok, so Justin Timberlake did the same thing as Britters and he survives. Well he hasn't really fallen foul of himself yet, tho he has achieved media bad-boy status on a few occasions.

So why do some people succeed at fame and others don't?

Not wanting to become part of the "Who killed Bambi" brigade and intimately analyse every last particle of her not-at-all private life, I will merely hint towards the Wiki article some more between 2004 - 2007 (or 22yrs old - 24yrs old) Britters marries, gives birth, divorces, undergoes legal (and frequently publically reported) custody battles, during which one of her closest relatives and supports dies from ovarian cancer. I would suggest "life" happened - and on a backdrop of the added pressures and media attentions of being a 'celebrity', nothing the media has done has helped her so far.

Elvis Presley may well have had something to say on the issue if he were alive today (or if he weren't hiding out working at a gas station in Mexico).

Altho there is obviously and quite seriously something not right in Ms Spears life right now, I doubt you can pin it down to one 'mental illness' diagnosis or that it was caused by one specific or recent event alone. This current state has been quietly rolling itself out since the adult now in crisis was but a mere baby. Other 'natural' life events have propelled her into a state of terror and stress and the cracks are becoming chasms.

So, if you want to know what happened to Britney - I guess there's an argument to say that we, society, are what happened - and Mickey Mouse was the trigger man.

Julie
02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Walt Disney has a lot to answer for!

:curtsey:

P/J
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
P/J - a patient once accused me of being flippant about her disease (rheumatoid arthritis). This caused me to carefully reflect on some of the things I said to others. Your comments, while partly true and demonstrating some reflectivity are also just a little flippant.

I appreciate that my remarks were on the flippant side, and hence I appologise if I have caused offense to anyone out there. :turtle: (the turtle of apology)

As a result I will put this question forward very carefully.
Postpartum depression is it becoming the new ADD and ADHD?

The reason for this is it has been found that children have been diagnosed with AD(H)D when it was other issues such as thyroidism and it has turned into the 'trendy' diagnosis, or the solution to all problems. My sister in law was said to be postpartum. She ended up getting in touch with a mother-care nurse who found that all my sister-in-laws issues were due to the hospital and other nurses literary forcing her to nurse and breast feed etc in certain ways, causing more stress on her marriage and life (until mother-care stepped in and helped).

(please, please be kind. This is a legitament question. And I fully acknowledge that there are many cases of ligament ADD and Postpartum (5% according to stats) cases out there.)

Julie
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
No problem and that is why there are specific assessment tools out there for diagnosing postnatal / postpartum depression. Over here in the UK midwives and then Health Visitors have a major role in identifying someone who is finding motherhood just a little difficult from someone who is devleoping psychosis or some other more serious symptom.

The more publicity there is however then as you say more likely that people will jump on the band waggon. If you have had it (or know some one who has had it) then you definitely see the difference.

LesleyJoy
02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I appreciate that my remarks were on the flippant side, and hence I appologise if I have caused offense to anyone out there. :turtle: (the turtle of apology)...

(please, please be kind. This is a legitament question. And I fully acknowledge that there are many cases of ligament ADD and Postpartum (5% according to stats) cases out there.)

No offense taken, P/J.

I have no answer or opinion for you regarding differential diagnosis that include postpartum depression or about any diagnosis that may be made by popular demand.

I would, however, like to share a family story about what it is like to live with a person similar to Britney Spears.

My daughter-in-law copes poorly with the responsibilities of caring for her two children. One day our DIL called to ask us to take the grandboys: "They deserve better than someone who yells at them and who is afraid all the time." Since that day a little over two years ago my husband and I have had the privilege of parenting young children again.

Our DIL has made little progress under the care of a medical doctor, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist. Neither medication, individual counseling sessions, nor participation in (two!) series of dialectical behavorial therapy courses has changed her approach to living.

Our son is at his wit's end. He loves his wife. He loves his chldren. He knows he cannot keep his children safe in his own home. So his children live 300 miles away. And he wonders about his marriage vows...

Our son and DIL speak with their children via telephone every evening. During school breaks they take the boys home with them - but our son ensures that he is either on vacation himself or that someone is immediately available to assume the care of the boys. When son and DIL return the boys to us, DIL cannot wait to leave our house. Our son is weary of carrying the grief of his wife's mental illness.

I suppose a differential diagnosis of borderline personality disorder vs antisocial personality disorder vs histrionic personality disorder vs anxiety disorder is in order. But does it really matter? Our DIL is not capable of being a wife or mother. Our son married "for better or worse." And so we grandparents laugh with our grandchildren - and cry with our son.

Joy

Mother Jones, RN
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM

That's another very good example, Julie. I'm afraid for Amy Winehouse. She will be dead soon if she doesn't accept help.

Julie
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Hopefully she has as she has just been in rehab.

But you are right MJ

P/J
02-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Thankyou for that story Julie.

I don't know much about Amy Winhouse, I though that she just had some drug problems. Is it worse than that? On the weekend they were saying that they wanted her to go back into rehab (as she had just come out last month?) but she was refusing to.

There is another artist out there who is having trouble with drugs, however I can't remember his name. Scruffy looking, always looks stoned, wears a homburg most of the time.

Julie
02-06-2008, 03:01 AM
On the weekend they were saying that they wanted her to go back into rehab (as she had just come out last month?) but she was refusing to.

No she came out at the weekend having just been in. We'll see if it has done any good. Her husband is still in prison and no doubt she is still living in the same way. She looks a mess not helped by her peroxide hair

KimRN
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Post Partum depression sucks.

I had it after all three kids AND a miscarriage. I could barely move, I cried continuously for weeks, was very anxious about the baby - couldn't sleep because I was afraid I'd miss a cry...I'd be okay if my mom was around but if it was just John and I it would hit again.

Interestingly, it was relieved by a shot of B12. I have no idea why, it could not have been a placebo effect because I did not expect it would work. My mom had just heard about that treatment on TV and my OB was willing to try it.

Oh, and P/J, I have to laugh - you wrote "ligament ADD" - I had no idea ligaments could have attention deficit :D I'm sure you meant "legitimate". Sorry, I could not resist. :elephant:

KimRN
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Regarding Ian's very good post on growing up in the spotlight:

Not only was Justin Timberlake in that "class", but so was Christina Augilera and JC Chasez (from N'Sync).

I agree that Britney probably did not grow up learning any coping skills.

I think the first sign was the marriage to her old friend in Vegas that was annulled within 2 days...

But hindsight is 20/20....

P/J
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Interestingly, it was relieved by a shot of B12. I have no idea why, it could not have been a placebo effect because I did not expect it would work. My mom had just heard about that treatment on TV and my OB was willing to try it. I have heard of this as well. I was put onto Vit B suppliments by my natropath as I can sometimes get very moody at times.

Oh, and P/J, I have to laugh - you wrote "ligament ADD" - I had no idea ligaments could have attention deficit :D I'm sure you meant "legitimate". Sorry, I could not resist. :elephant: Hey what can I say, I like to involve the whole body in a diagnosis and feel that ligaments get left out too often:questionmark:

P/J
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Latest news is that Britney has left the hospital after six days at the medical center. I thought that she was under a treatment order?

There are allegations going round that her manager has been drugging her and there is now a restraining order on him. There are reports of psychiatrists assessing her ability to understand what is going on around her. We'll see were we go from here I guess.

Mother Jones, RN
02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Latest news is that Britney has left the hospital after six days at the medical center. I thought that she was under a treatment order?

There are allegations going round that her manager has been drugging her and there is now a restraining order on him. There are reports of psychiatrists assessing her ability to understand what is going on around her. We'll see were we go from here I guess.

I read a story today that said a "court representative" let her go against her doctor's wishes. My guess is that Britney didn't want to sign in as a voluntary patient, so her case went to hearing. She told the judge she wasn't a threat to her self or others, and he or she let Britney go. I see this happen all the time. We let very sick people back out on the streets in an effort to protect their civil rights. Unfortunately, they eventually end up harming themselves or someone else. The system is crazy. :loco:

Her parents are fighting a broken system in their efforts to protect their daughter.:(

Mr Ian
02-25-2008, 09:39 AM
With due respect to my learned coleagues - but is this Britney thread just a little bit too much like gossiping about patients outside of work?
This forum is public access and our speculative presumptions about any identifiable person receiving health care may be construed as breaching some ethical boundaries. Although her entire life is being broadcast globally and every news company and their teaboy is paying anyone for any information; speculative or generalised included; I think it prudent to restrain ourselves on current diagnostic and intervention opinion on someone who is currently receiving more attention than compassion.

My personal thoughts.

Mother Jones, RN
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
With due respect to my learned coleagues - but is this Britney thread just a little bit too much like gossiping about patients outside of work?
This forum is public access and our speculative presumptions about any identifiable person receiving health care may be construed as breaching some ethical boundaries. Although her entire life is being broadcast globally and every news company and their teaboy is paying anyone for any information; speculative or generalised included; I think it prudent to restrain ourselves on current diagnostic and intervention opinion on someone who is currently receiving more attention than compassion.

My personal thoughts.

Gossiping? No, I'm using news stories about a public figure to illustrate issues I see everyday in our health care system. There are a lot of people like Britney who aren't getting the help the need because of loopholes in our system.

Mr Ian
02-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Speculating about what a known person may or may not have wrong with them in a public forum challenges my beliefs about confidentiality and professionalism.
Health care system issues are worthy of public debate.

Julie
02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Much of this thread has been about the way in which we are portrayed the story of Britney.

If I as a nurse worked in the hospital where Britney had been taken and then I spoke of it here then that would be a breach of confidentiality. I can't breach confidentiality on someone I know nothing about other than that I have read or heard about.

Correct me if I am wrong.

geenaRN
03-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I agree with you Julie. We are merely speculating on what we've heard about her situation. Who knows if what's being reported is accurate.

As long as none of us are actually taking care of her, I don't see the harm in discussing it.

MyOwnWoman
03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I think I had a mild form of postpartum depression when both of my children were born. Although it did not advance to postpartum psycosis, I was definitely depressed. I don't know if it was from the sudden lack of hormones or the shift of attention from me to "the babies," either way my mother was a huge help to me when I layed my head on her shoulder and cried. As she held me and talked to me about "this being normal right now," she helped me cope with the turmoil from within. I wonder how many out there don't have a support system like I had which leads to the depression becoming a psychosis.

Who knows, maybe I'm way out in left field, but then that's okay too. I'm always out in left field.

Mr Ian
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Correct me if I am wrong.

You asked for it! :elephant:

Ok, in the spirit of discussing the 'ethics of nursing' my feelings are this - hmm.. perhaps I should take it to another thread?

Leave you gossiping women alone....

(I'm being facetious... post partum depression is serious issue and I don't want to detract from that convo.... meet me in another thread...)