View Full Version : Instant cure for hiccups

ERRNRandy
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Hello Nurses,

Just wanted to pass along a tip I have for people who have hiccups.

Take a small cup and fill it with about 6 oz of tap water. Tell the hiccuper (thats not a word) but you know what I mean... to drink the water in a normal fashion. But hears what you do. When they start to drink you put your index fingers from both hands in each ear, apply light pressure only.(stop laughing it works) The hardest part will be to convince the hiccuper to let you put your fingers in thier ear. It works 100 percent of the time.

Try it and see. Hope to hear from you.

Randy W RN

Julie
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
So let me get this right?

We put our fingers in their ears?

Hmmmmmmmmmm now there's an idea!
:banghead::banghead:

geenaRN
02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
The hardest part will be to convince the hiccuper to let you put your fingers in thier ear. It works 100 percent of the time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the hardest part would be convincing myself to put my fingers in someone else's ear.

:creep:

I used to get rid of my hiccups by bending over and drinking out of the far side of a glass of water.

Mother Jones, RN
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
:nurse: Ear therapy? I never HEARD of that before. It SOUNDS like a good cure. Thanks for bending our EAR. :dancing2:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I just had to say it. :D

MJ :pepsi:

spencer.jj
02-07-2008, 09:26 PM
My physics teacher in high school said that the only thing that works is filling your lungs as absolutely full as possible and holding it for as long as possible. Something about the increase in pressure fending off hiccoughs.

This has seemed to work for me, but your way sounds much more fun.

Apeman
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
The cure Ive heard of also has to do with the ears but rather than sticking your fingers into the persons ears you rub the ear lobes between your fingers. It has to do with the Nerve pressure points (the same as in acupuncture) Works for my friends and family.

gracenotes1
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Well that is a new one--a cure for Malignant Singultus--the medical term for hiccups. hahaha
I had a patient one with hiccups for weeks. Finally the Doctor ordered Thorazine and it worked.
gracenotes1

www.nightingale.pnn.com:nurse::nurse:

rozan
02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
My mom was a nurse for 40 years. She taught me the ear treatment when I was a little girl. Most people just laugh when I suggest it to take care of annoying hiccups. But, I agree, it works every time.

gracenotes1
02-23-2008, 10:03 AM
It works!!!
I had the hiccups last night and had my husband put his fingers in my ears!! It worked.
Wish I had know that 20 years ago when I had my patient that had the hiccups so badly. It sure would have been better than Thorazine. Bless his heart.
:idea:

ewahl
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Okay this may sound absolutely ridiculous...but what hiccup cure sounds normal?
If someone is hiccuping simply say to them, "I'll give you a million dollars if you hiccup again" That's it ...they won't be able to hiccup again.
Every time I've tried it it works!!