View Full Version : Clueless bosses and the blogosphere.

Mother Jones, RN
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I recently went to a job interview, and I asked the nurse recruiter if her hospital had a policy about blogging. She said, ďWhatís a blog?Ē I answered her question, and she still didnít understand how damaging a blog could be to her hospital in the hands of a pissed off employee. Since then, Iíve learned that many high-powered people within hospitals donít have a clue about whatís going on in blogosphere. I know that my boss is clueless, is your boss clueless, too:questionmark:

MJ :pepsi:

Julie
02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I am torn between wanting people to know more and being scared that they will. I am sure my boss knows what a blog is, but I wouldn't necessarily want her to find mine. As far as I know there is no local policy at my organisation. Be interesting to hear other people's thoughts.

P/J
02-11-2008, 07:21 PM
My mother works with technology resources within schools and libraries. She was giving a talk at a conference for school libraries on the use of RSS feeds and how they can be used by teachers and students in the teaching of the curriculum. She had a lady up the front ask what a blog is. Mum was dumb-founded, at the lack of basic understanding of what is out there by people who should be keeping up with what is avaliable.

Mother Jones, RN
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm still learning about RSS feeds, and other things involving the Internet. Thank goodness I have my tech guy, Shane, and my two kids. :pcguru:

geenaRN
02-12-2008, 01:11 AM
My boss knows all about my blog and is very supportive! I don't know if she still reads it, though.

miss-elaine-ious
02-12-2008, 01:40 AM
It's not just the bosses. Some of my CLASSMATES didn't even know about blogging, and they are in their 20s! I feel lucky I have found a core group of nurses online for whom I can learn from.

Elaine
http://miss-elaine-ious.blogspot.com
:nurse:

KimRN
02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I recently went to a job interview, and I asked the nurse recruiter if her hospital had a policy about blogging. She said, ďWhatís a blog?Ē I answered her question, and she still didnít understand how damaging a blog could be to her hospital in the hands of a pissed off employee. Since then, Iíve learned that many high-powered people within hospitals donít have a clue about whatís going on in blogosphere. I know that my boss is clueless, is your boss clueless, too:questionmark:

I don't think so. Everyone knows I blog and will come up and make a comment on something I've written. It's never been an issue. I've seen docs reading it at the nurses station.

But then, I'm not a pissed off employee, either. Just a tired one.:boring:

Mother Jones, RN
02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't think so. Everyone knows I blog and will come up and make a comment on something I've written. It's never been an issue. I've seen docs reading it at the nurses station.

But then, I'm not a pissed off employee, either. Just a tired one.:boring:

Sweet dreams :sleep:

Julie
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I know many of us who do blog and who remain anonymous have considered the prospect of being discovered and what that might mean. This is why it is important to be careful about what you write and who might read it. This isn't just about maintaining confidentiality but also about thinking before we press that send / load button.

MyOwnWoman
02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I have shared my blog site with one person with which I work. I consider her a good friend and it gives her insight into my thoughts that I don't often share. In fact, through my blog she and I have found that we have very similar interests and thoughts. She likes that I blog not only about nursing, but about my life in general. I blog about my father frequently; she lost her father at 15 and she told me it often brings tears to her eyes because I have allowed her to have a glimpse of the relationship her and her father would have shared.

When I blog about work, of course all the names have changed to protect the innocent and the not so innocent. I keep the basic thread the same; but throw in curves and side comments that could occur in any ER across the USA.

I don't wonder if people will find out that I write a blog, and in fact have been asked if it is public and can anyone read it. I said, "if you can find it, you can read it." To be honest, it wouldn't take much to find it; but that's a whole other story. I have to admit though, that I worry that my personal thoughts, if found out by my co-workers can be used "against me" not to make me lose my job, but gives them the edge to my soft spots.

Who knows, maybe that isn't so bad.

I guess I'll cross the blog issue when I come to it; but until then I'm going to have to believe that my blog is protected by my first amendment right. I don't violate HIPPA, and who knows, perhaps my patients are a conglomerate of many different patients.

PixelRN
02-14-2008, 07:07 AM
No one at work knows about my blog, and I doubt that most of them know what a blog is. I have told some people that I have a "nursing related website," but no one has even been curious enough to ask me what it's called.

I use my iPhone at work and I've mentioned to people that I won it from a nursing website and even then, no one is curious enough to ask me what the website is. I've found that the vast majority of nurses are simply not interested in reading nursing related content on the web.

The lack of interest is kind of depressing in a way, but I am very glad to be a part of this nursing blog community. I guess it's quality over quanity.
:hmmmm:

Julie
02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
There are a depressing number of people who want to leave their nursing career at the door of the hospital (or other workplace). I encounter people who think that all education and training should be done in work time, let alone people who would write or read a blog or visit a place like this.

crzegrl
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Reading my blog is becoming the thing to do where I work. Have gotten many of them involved in helping me gather cool stuff for posts---photos, video, cool stories. It has made my blog 100 times more fun to do and a lot more interesting to read! Telling them all was one of the best decisions I have made.

Mother Jones, RN
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I never post anything that I wouldn't be willing to read in front of my boss or my hospital's CEO. Then again, that don't like me anyway, so what the heck! :whistle:

PixelRN
02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Today I was asked by the DON of our outpatient center about a patient complaint that she had received. When she described the situation I remembered it very well and thought, "OMG, I blogged about that!!!

I SO wanted to tell her about my blog but I didn't because it might have put either my job or my blog in jeopardy.

Here's the post I'm referring to:
http://www.pixelrn.com/2008/01/beware-of-prejudging-your-patients.html

Fortunately the complaint wasn't about me, it was about the way the other nurse addressed me when I was trying to help the patient.