View Full Version : New Grad - New Life

CONurse
02-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi there!

I hail from Colorado, a native. I graduated last May from Nursing school with my 3rd bachelors degree. I got a job working in an ICU with mixed feelings. I recently got released from orientation, and I am learning a lot each and every shift. Thanks for creating this site, and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Julie
02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi there and welcome to Nursing Voices!
:party:

LesleyJoy
02-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Welcome! I am glad you found us. Thank you for introducing yourself. When you have a moment, won't you please tell us more about those 3 degrees, why you became a nurse, those ICU "mixed feelings," and perhaps even share a few of your new grad stories?

Again, it is good to see you here.

Joy

PixelRN
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, Tell us more! And remember - the first year out of orientation is by far the hardest.

:highfive:

Polaris
02-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Welcome! Glad to have you here.

NurseSean
02-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I am also very curious about the three degrees and "mixed feelings!"

Please share! :)

CONurse
02-22-2008, 03:15 AM
My 3 degrees started when I was young and didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. So I tried a little bit of everything in College. When I finally figured it out, I chose speech communications. However, as I grew older and wiser I realized that I couldn't get a job (well paying or not) with a degree in Speech Communication, so I added business management to my répertoire. 7 years after I began, I ended with a double major. I was a bank supervisor, on the fast track to management, when I decided to get married (and subsequently have babies). I realized that I didn't want to spend a good portion of my life in an office 80hrs a week managing other people's money. So thus began my long trek into nursing.

I have a journal about some of my new grad experiences, I'm thinking about turning it into a blog. I really enjoy the blogs I've found thanks to this site.

Mixed feelings about being a new grad in the ICU can take up a whole page in and of itself. Maybe I will start that blog after all.

Here's a little thing about it though. I originally wanted to start in the ED. I was even offered the job, but, alas, life got in the way and someone else was hired 2 days before I went in to follow up with the manager. She asked if I would like to spend a year in the ICU, and since that had been my second choice, I said ok. I HATED it in the beginning, with a passion. It has been even harder than nursing school. My learning curve is like climbing Mt. Everest having _never_ worked in health care prior to this. However, now I'm finally getting into a groove, although each and every day brings more and more learning experiences, and I work with a _very_ supportive staff to help me through it. Despite their personal opinions on what experience is needed to start.http://www.nursingvoices.com/images/smilies/idea2.gif
:idea2:

pat
04-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Great story and I'm sure your blog would be great to read. Nursing is a tough business. I started quite some time ago and it was a very different world back then. I spent five years working in ICU at a major university medical. Unlike you though I did have several years of experience before going to that setting. This of course allowed me an opportunity to perfect many skills before being put in a position of having to do things to/for patients in critical status. I know it must be a very tough transition for you. I hope you'll stick with it and wish you all the best of luck.