View Full Version : My Preceptor

PICURN
06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I had the most wonderful preceptor in the PICU. I want to do something nice for her. She has only been an RN for a year and half, but she is excellent. She loves her patients and families, but also delievers great quality care. She will not cut corners simply because she could if she wanted to, but she does everything the way evidence based nursing says to. I learned so much from her. And she is a quick little powerhouse, she can get so much done, in so little time.

She doesnt have a lot of scrubs. I think she went to a private nursing school and has a lot of credit card debt, so she doesnt spend much money on herself. I thought of getting her some scrubs, but what else would be a good present?

I wanted to wait until I passed the NCLEX to thank her, because I just felt, it would be nice in the long letter I plan to attach if I was able to thank her for everything she provided for me.

Any good ideas? I think I could spend up to $200, but I dont want to make her uncomfortable.

geenaRN
06-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm sure she'll love the letter. One of my preceptees got me pajamas and I thought those were cute. Scrubs are a good idea, too, especially since you think she needs them.

I'd certainly feel weird about accepting $200 worth of stuff though.

Mother Jones, RN
07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
It's important to have a good preceptor. They can teach you a lot, and they can make or break a new grad. I'm glad you found a good one.

KimRN
07-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I had the most wonderful preceptor in the PICU. I want to do something nice for her. She has only been an RN for a year and half, but she is excellent. She loves her patients and families, but also delievers great quality care. She will not cut corners simply because she could if she wanted to, but she does everything the way evidence based nursing says to. I learned so much from her. And she is a quick little powerhouse, she can get so much done, in so little time.

She doesnt have a lot of scrubs. I think she went to a private nursing school and has a lot of credit card debt, so she doesnt spend much money on herself. I thought of getting her some scrubs, but what else would be a good present?

I wanted to wait until I passed the NCLEX to thank her, because I just felt, it would be nice in the long letter I plan to attach if I was able to thank her for everything she provided for me.

Any good ideas? I think I could spend up to $200, but I dont want to make her uncomfortable.

How about a gift certificate to a uniform store and a small token (necklace, earrings). You could make the certificate for $50 (just enough for a few things) and then add something else - a subscription to a Pedi nursing journal, perhaps! I'm sure she would be pleased with the thought behind any gift. I have to say, $200 is a lot to spend, but $100 would be good!:)