View Full Version : any home health nurses....?

ewahl
02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I graduated nursing school a year and a half ago. Since then I've been working on a busy med/surg/tele unit. I've def. developed skills and have learned a lot more then when I first started. However, I really want to get off my floor (various reasons) I'm really interested in home care. I was a caregiver in homecare prior to becoming a nurse and loved the one on one time. However, I am a little nervous about being on my own in the "field" Do you have any advice? Like what do you do if you don't know what to do with a patient?
Do you have support that could come? I just get nervous with making a dumb decision. I'm the type of person who likes to double check things with another nurse. I guess my confidence is still lacking...
any advice would be great!!!

geenaRN
03-01-2008, 12:36 AM
I don't do home health, so I don't know the exact answer to your questions.

Confidence comes with experience, which comes with time. I can't imagine that a home health agency would just set you out on your own without ANY resources. And the more situations you encounter, the more confident you'll become.

gracenotes1
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I worked home health after working for about 6 months on 11-7. I was green as a gourd. But I had good support. You can always call someone if you are unsure of something.
If you come upon a critical situation call the ambulance!!!
A patient in a home in a critical situation does not need to be at home waiting on a home care nurse that has a limited amount of equip in their bag!!!! And no meds!!!
So---with your 1.5 years in the hospital there is probably nothing that you would run across that you couldn't handle.
Wisdom isn't knowing everything it is knowing where to find the answers--or the help.
I loved working in the field in homecare. Especially when you have your own territory to manage. Just remember you will go into every kind of home!! Sometimes you will not want to sit your bag down for fear of bugs crawling into it--but the next home might be a multi million dollar mansion.
You have a good deal of freedome working home care--but you need to be comfortable in making decisions on your own.
Hope that helps.