View Full Version : A suggestion for (g)you all.

geenaRN
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Perhaps when we are responding to a post that someone has written and our response is meant to apply to the "general" population and not the original poster, we could say "gyou," meaning "general you."

There was a bit of confusion in the morals thread and I thought that this might clear it up. Of course, P/J referenced "royal" you, so I suppose we could also use "ryou."

:)

Does this make sense?

P/J
03-01-2008, 06:57 AM
interesting idea but how about g-you as i think gyou will get confusing if you forget and for people who haven't seen this thread.

Mr Ian
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
interesting idea but how about g-you as i think gyou will get confusing if you forget and for people who haven't seen this thread.

That should have read ... "get confusing if g-you/gyou forget and for people who haven't seen this thread".

P/J
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks Mr Ian.:tomato:

angelbev
03-05-2008, 01:23 AM
I don;t think it is going to matter...gyou or g-you are both very confusing especially if you are anew person.,

Mr Ian
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
We could just go with the Southern USA colloquialism and use "y'all" for g-you?

Which would only then confuse Southerners who would think we meant them personally. But that would be easily solved if we used: Not-You-Personally-but-Y'all-Everyone

So what g-you, Not-You-Personally-but-Y'all-Everyone, y'all think? :dontknow:

Julie
03-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Confused?

I am now!:loco:

LesleyJoy
03-07-2008, 06:15 AM
We could just go with the Southern USA colloquialism and use "y'all" for g-you?

Which would only then confuse Southerners who would think we meant them personally. But that would be easily solved if we used: Not-You-Personally-but-Y'all-Everyone

So what g-you, Not-You-Personally-but-Y'all-Everyone, y'all think? :dontknow:

Mr. Ian,

You may be on to something here. As a woman of the south temporarily living among Yankees, let me tell you the courtesies and traditions of the glorious south are worth every effort to sustain (with the deplorable exception of racial prejudice and mistreatment, of course).

Now about your solution intended to facilitate communication... As you noted, "y'all" is singular. It is used to indicate a specific person. That is, I might say, "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" instead of "Mrs. Smith, please do return at your very easiest convenience." Or "Y'all look mighty fine today" instead of "Mrs. Smith, your dress is lovely."

"All y'all," on the other hand, is plural. In speaking to a group I would say, "Would all y'all like another cup of coffee?"

Perhaps we could use all y'all (whenever we think to use it) instead of "you" when speaking generally to or of a group of people.

Southern speech is rich in imagery, humor, and courtesy. Go to http://usadeepsouth.ms11.net//southernspeak.html to see for yourself.

Joy

Dutchie
04-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know alot of the common day text abbreviations. Perhaps I'll start with " In General" :rock: